Current Sensing IC

markmelive

Joined Aug 13, 2012
Hello Guys,

Need Help!! I want to sense the current of the load and feed it back to the microcontroller ADC. So basically I want to sense the current driving by the load (flashing lights) and adjust the load current accordingly, like a diagnostic system which sense the load current and adjust it accordingly. In this, I am totaly confused whether to use current sensing switches or current sensing amplifiers. Kindly help me in this regard. The flashing lights drives 1.2A current and supply voltage is 12v.

Thanks in advance

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Your flux capacitor has gone bad.
Seriously though, post the actual circuit and what you´re measuring. No one here is an oracle.

markmelive

Joined Aug 13, 2012
For example: The sense resistor used is 0.1 ohm (RSENSE) and voltage accross sense resistor is 0.07v. The gain of the max4080 used is 60. So, Vout should be 0.07 x 60 = 4.20V but infact I am getting Vout = 4.68. More variation. Can any one pls tell me to get less variation. So that I can measure the current more accurately.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
For example, are you sure the sense resistor is exactly 0.1000ohms and the sensed voltage is exactly 0.070000V? What is the common mode voltage on the sense resistor?
Do you have at least one 100nF ceramic bypass capacitor right next to the chip? Is the measured current truly DC?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
So, you are measuring some pwm current with an ordinary dc voltmeter, and expect to get accurate and consistent results? Or how fast are the lights flashing?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
So, are you sure the current you measure is exactly 0.74A, the voltage on the sense resistor is exactly 70mV, etc.? Can you try it with different current, to see if what you get is just offset or the gain is different?

Actually you could use a potentiometer and check what the output does as you vary the voltage on the sense pins.

markmelive

Joined Aug 13, 2012
Yes, current drawn by the steady light is 0.74A and the voltage accross 0.1 sense resistor is 70mv. I am using a DC supply not battery of fixed 12v. So i can varry suppy voltage 0v-12v. By varying the supply voltage, the Vout changes. So wot do u think, is the circuit right? or wot else extra i have to add to the circuit, except the 100nf decoupling capacitor near the supply voltage ?.

markmelive

Joined Aug 13, 2012
Or do u want me to change the resistor to 0.005 and check the output?. Because it is the lowest sense resistor i have got.