Current sense amplifier with lm358

blind2_man

Joined May 12, 2008
Hello,

I am working on a testbench power supply and one block is current sense amplifier to display the current consumption.
Is it posible to design a current sense amplifier with lm358 and read the voltage with ADC block in microcontroller?
If you have any reference would be great.

blind2_man

Joined May 12, 2008
my_design.JPG
This is what I have done, but it is not working, in simulation is ok but implemented on PCB is not working, output remains close to 0 for currents in range [0 1.5A].
The current measurement is on resitor 0.1Ohm used also for current measurement on series regulator with LM723, output of LM723 is driving a darlignton configuration made by BD135 and 2N3055.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Your schematics was somewhat hard to read. But anyway this will be your basic circuit http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_8/10.html This circuit will give out (V2-V1) times the amplification factor. The 0.1 ohms resistor will give a voltage drop equal to I*R. Use the circuit above to measure this voltage drop. Select a proper amplification factor and feed this voltage to the ADC on the micro. It is important that the power supply voltage used by the opamps is higher than the output voltage from the LM723

blind2_man

Joined May 12, 2008
My prototype containts only output stage.
This realy a useful link, thank you t06afre.
What operational amplifier to you recomend?

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
My prototype containts only output stage.
This realy a useful link, thank you t06afre.
What operational amplifier to you recomend?
As for now use the one you have. It can be used in a single supply configuration. And that would be ideal in your setting