Current Limiter

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I am not sure why and what you want to achive here. I think this thread need more information. Where on net did you find that circuit you posted

chrismightsmile

Joined Sep 17, 2013
This a current limiter circuit. I have a battery charger that supplies 6 Amps and i need it to go down 3A without changing its voltage. Do you guys have other suggestions or different circuit suggestions?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It doesn't matter where you found this. It is a concept drawing and it won't work at practical levels.
First, use transistors that are bigger. That will make them smoke less.
Second, understand that a 12 volt charger does not apply 12 volts. It applies more than 12 volts.
Third, the limiting circuit will use up a little bit of the voltage. Probably not enough to matter in this case.

Judging from the way you write words, I guess you are in a country where you could buy Radio Shack parts or Maplin parts. An NPN transistor that starts with "TIP" could be used for both of those 2N3904's.

Make R1 = 39 ohms, at least 8 watts in size, and R2 will be about .22 ohms of at least 4 watts of size. Those are not Radio Shack parts. Better have some more discussion before you lay your money down.

I have to go to the dentist now. Sorry, gotta go.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Is the problem is that your battery charger is too large for your battery? You need to prevent it from supplying a full 6A into a battery that can only tolerate 3A?