Current Booster

russ_hensel

Joined Jan 11, 2009
A cap. could do it if you need the current for just a short time. ( and actually at a bit less than 12 v ) A good 12v battery would do nicely. Remember conservation of energy.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

If the input is 12 Volts, 600 mA, the output will NEVER be more than this 600 mA.
You can NOT get energy from nothing.

Bertus

solanki001

Joined Dec 24, 2008
Ok... I understand that I cannot creat energy. But can I store the energy and then I can get 12 V, 1.2 A. Is it possible by any means??

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

You can charge a battery with the 600 mA power source for time X.
Then you can draw 1.2 A for a little less than 1/2 of this time X from this battery.

Bertus

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Using a large capacitor MAY work...

For example a 10,000µF capacitor.

However, those capacitors are also very physically large.

Consider using a supercapacitor.

These can be rated up to 20 farads(!!) in a package not much bigger than the 10,000µF, but the disadvantage is they are usually only rated for 2.5V or 5.5V so you will have to connect multiple ones in series.

Due to conservation of energy, you cannot get more energy out than in.

You can however do some calculations.

12V, 600mA, 1 second = 7.2 watt-seconds.

12V, 6A, 0.1 seconds = 7.2 watt-seconds.

So to meet the maximum energy output of 7.2 watt-seconds, at 1.5A, you can only go for 0.5 seconds, approximately...

(EDIT: of course, this doesn't take into account the rating of the power supply. It may well fail/trip from taking 6A, you will need a capacitor to smooth the output.)

Last edited:

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
It may be perfectly simple and easily done as long as you only need a low duty cycle.

If you only need to pulse the output for a fraction of a second every two or three seconds it will be fine with some large capacitors.

If you need 15 minutes of output every hour then a 12 Volt storage cell can be used.

If you need a continuous 12V 1.5A output then you need that much input.

It is that simple.

Power In >= Power Out