CSS555 a failure?

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I spent some time searching the web for references to the CSS555 and CSS555C, and didn't find much except for data from the manufacturer and the retailer (Jameco.) Here on AAC, I only found two threads that mentioned it. Is anyone using it, or is it a failure?

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
It's been 12 hours since my question, 85 views, and no responses, so I guess that's an affirmative answer. I suppose with 8-pin μCs selling for less than $1, it's hard to market a $2 programmable timer.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
It's a low-power variant of the standard 555 timer which includes a digital counter to get long time delays. It's apparently not used extensively, but could be useful if you need low power and/or long time delays in one package. The info on using it is contained in the data sheet.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Thanks for the links. I actually have read quite a bit about the CSS555, but it doesn't seem to have gained many users. In fact, I haven't found more than a very few.

As a retired marketer, I wonder if it is used more widely than I am seeing. If not, it would appear to be an expensive failure. Is that the opinion of the members here, and if so, why did it fail?

Last edited:

Meixner

Joined Sep 26, 2011
My guess would be that having to program it would be too much bother. The CSS555 datasheet has been in my file for a while, mostly just a curiousity I have never used one. But then I have been designing circuits for 35 years and have never used a 555.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
I think you're right about the inexpensive microcontrollers. If you have to program something, why not choose the part that costs less, doesn't need external parts and can do more?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
My guess would be that having to program it would be too much bother. The CSS555 datasheet has been in my file for a while, mostly just a curiousity I have never used one. But then I have been designing circuits for 35 years and have never used a 555.
That has been my experience as well. I've seen them in designs, but never had the opportunity or motivation to use one. Every single timer problem I've encountered in a career that spans half a century had better solutions. It is good to have some company.