cruise control switch controlling my radio?

tdubliture

Joined Sep 3, 2009
I am a newbie here but i like what you guys are doing. I was hoping someone could help me out here. I would like to add a circuit to my truck to control my radio with my cruise control switch when the cruise is not on. I don't know if it would be possible. I found online a schematic of the switch which is located at

http://www.tankota.net/repair/Repair_Manual/03tacoma/di/ccswetcs/ciccs.pdf

and the pioneer controls are in the attached picture. There are only three switches in the circuit which would be plenty for what I want. I would really like to have
RES/ACC control volume up
SET/Coast control volume down and
Cancel control next track

so i did the math and that means that
240 OHMS would have to be converted to 16 KOhms
630 OHMS would have to be converted to 24 KOHMS
1540 OHMS would have to be converted to 8KOHMS

Is this possible?

Attachments

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Welcome to AAC!
It might behoove you to Ohm out those switches on your cruise control to make certain that as each switch opens another one closes. What I'm saying is it's entirely possible that more than one set of contacts are closed for a given position. If that's the case you will have to recalculate your resistors. I'm not saying this is so... just say'n it wouldn't hurt to verify. ;)

BTW, if we had a weird post award this one might make it into the hall of fame!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

tdubliture

Joined Sep 3, 2009
did you see the link? As it sits all the switches are open and as the button is pushed the resistance is asserted I can double check though

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
did you see the link? As it sits all the switches are open and as the button is pushed the resistance is asserted I can double check though
Yes, I looked at the link. I have to check my truck because I believe all my cruise functions are momentary. I'll post when I get home from work.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Well you can ignore what I said in my first post because my cruise controls are all momentary switches and suspect yours are too. So that begs the question: Does your radio expect to see momentary voltages or do they need to be constant? If the answer is momentary then I guess you're good to go.

tdubliture

Joined Sep 3, 2009
Not quite sure why u mean when u ask if the radio needs to see momentary or constant voltage? I have wiredthe resistors up to a remote in Jack just to try it out. I touch the tip to the sleeve or, whatever connection it requires, through the required resistant for just a second and it will proccess the command.

Steve C

Joined Nov 29, 2008
So, your life will be a ton easier if you buckle down and just buy the SWI-PS. Your only job after that will be to cut your CSS wire and interface that with a small relay. The controls are wired to the pole, the NO throw goes to the CSS wire, the NC throw goes to the sense wire on the SWI-PS.

Then all you have to do is determine a way to ensure the relay is closed when cruise control is enabled. I can't help you here because I don't know how your CC enable behaves. It's easy if it were a push-on, push-off switch, but because it is a momentary switch that controls both on and off functions, your life will be a little trickier. You'll need to determine if the car "saves" cruise control on/off status when you pull the key out so you can determine how you want that relay to behave.

Or if you want the crappy jury rigged method you put it on a manual switch so you can control the stereo even if you are using cruise control. Just not at the same time, of course.

Once you have that all set up, just program the SWI-PS to control how you want it to.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
I just took another look at the schematic for the cruise control. As per the print, you have only two wires going to the cruise control. These are Green/Yellow and Brown/Red. All the resistors are located within the switch assembly. You're going to have to disconnect those two wires and then disassemble it,... if possible. Ouch!!

Steve C

Joined Nov 29, 2008
It's not difficult to modify, but moot. He wants to retain CC operation, which means he needs to keep the switch assembly as it is.

So what he needs is a converter to convert one set of resistances into the other without disturbing the existing circuit! Easiest way I can think of is to use the SWI-PS, a premade device that can do exactly this. All he needs to design is the switching circuit that changes what is hooked up to the switch assembly. Should be transparent to the CC circuit since the back end of the switch assembly floats anyways.

So would the input to the SWI-PS. So a relay should work wonderfully well.

------------------

Alternately, the tdubliture has the option to buy a series of switches to install into the steering wheel and make his own ladder. I've done this too with ease. there are tons of micro-mini surface mount switches that would fit on the wheel just fine and not look too out of place if he is picky about switch dimension.

To get through the clockspring, toyota probably has an open space in there for one more wire. Every car I've owned had an unused spot in the clockspring that let me add controls without disturbing existing circuits.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
It's not difficult to modify, but moot. He wants to retain CC operation, which means he needs to keep the switch assembly as it is.
Sure enough I read back to his first post and it's there. Honestly, I missed it! Quite frankly if I had known that he wanted to share control between his radio and cruise control I would not have become involved in this thread at all. I can think of a few agencies that would have a sh_t fit, including his insurance company! Change-over system or not this is DANGEROUS! Now I know why none of the other senior members involved themselves in this thread... I am getting senile!
Outa here!

tdubliture

Joined Sep 3, 2009
I thought about the swips module but the only problem is the resistances are pretty low on the cc wire. I didn't know if the module could be compatible

Steve C

Joined Nov 29, 2008
totally compatible. That module can handle everything from ultra high resistances to a complete dead short. Not at the same time of course, but it can easily handle the resistances you are currently working with.

I know it's not an engineered solution, but it is an effective one. One that let's you concentrate on what worries the other folks on the forum. In particular, the safety aspects of adding a contactor switch on a system that can control your throttle position.