Creative SBS A335 volume control issues.

corrupt3d

Joined Apr 1, 2014
Moderator Note:

Welcome to AAC!

A thread belongs to the OP (original poster). Trying to take over someone elses thread is called hijacking, which is not allowed at All About Circuits. I have therefore given you a thread of your very own.

This was split from Creative SBS A335 volume control issues.

I'm sorry for bumping an old thread, I've a similar problem but...

Is it possible to remove the volume control knob completely & still getting the speaker to work? I don't need/want the volume control... If possible, how???

Last edited by a moderator:

corrupt3d

Joined Apr 1, 2014
first of sorry about that, I wasn't aware :(

anyways... I have a Creative SBS A335 speaker... The right speaker, which has the volume control knob with it, hardly makes any sound... The left one is okay, but there's a cracking sound when I turn the knob...

Now, as I don't need/want the volume control because I kinda don't use it & volume controls have always caused problems for me :mad:

Is it possible to remove the volume control completely & still getting the speaker to work??? :confused: Can you assist me? I don't have much idea about circuits.

Here's a photo [Sorry about the bad pic quality, my camera is broken & the phone's camera sucks]:

P.S: And if it helps, it's the same as IrisD's posted photos on this thread.

Attachments

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Can be done, but not trivial. If the volume control has the on/off switch on it (it looks like it does) and you still want the on/off control, then here is a plan:

Remove the circuit board from the enclosure

Turn it over so you can see the volume control pins soldered to the circuit board.

Send us a photo.

Solder two small jumpers (one for each channel) on the board to short out the correct parts of the volume control.

Glue the board back in place.

ak

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Same job, different person.
Assuming the volume controls don't have power switches.
Audio volume controls have 3 connections.
They are signal in, where you set the volume, and common.
The middle pin is always where you get the results out.
Referring to a drawing I made (badly),
Audio pots are mechanical devices so you can imagine if you're looking at it from the rear,
If you turned the knob to "high" the internal wiper would be connecting pins 1 and 2.
That means pin 1 must be the main signal in and pin 3 must be common.
You want the maximum signal so you put a jumper from pin one to pin 2
then turn it all the way up and throw the knob away.
That's pretty safe in case the resistance of the pot is part of a biasing circuit or ground is needed at one end of the volume circuit.

There are other ways to do this, depending on your circuit. If you post a circuit that contradicts me, we will deal with it quickly enough.

Attachments