Creating Backup Partions

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Dunno where this thread goes.

Now since I am on the age of ruining my DATA and OS every now & then, I thought of taking a new approach.

Seen this kinda partitions but did not know how to do it and how it would do in my situation.
I have used partition magic and Norton ghost and read a tutorial about doing a partition but it really doesn't cut it.
May be it isn't as easy I thought.

I tried just now, created a partition of 10G on my boot drive. PC went to restart couple of times, I though I blew it again but it came back with a new partition located at the end of C drive. Tut says use Ghost but I got lost at the point where to put the image, on the partition or on a DVD :confused:.

So now here I am again asking if there is any easy way of doing this of dummies like me.
or does any of you have a good tut on actually how to do this step by step.

I like to create a hidden partition on my primary drive and back up my OS once I set it up the way I want. with all the nifty update and the anti virus and spy ware BS's.

This way if I again find some reason to crash my OS, which I presume won't be too long, I can restore fresh to the state which was before.

I will have backups of my data separate. It takes for ever to set up my OS the way I want. Now I know there is a way.
If any of you know a way please show me.

Last edited:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The best way to create backups is with an external drive.
(and disconnect it as soon as the backup is made,
viruses will have no chance to infect the drive that is disconnected).
If the internal drive has a mechanical crash, the data will be lost if the backup is created on the same disk.

Bertus

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
The Backup will be on a mirror raid controller.

I just need to know how to restore OS from recovery partitions

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I thought of that...but I dunno some soft wares ain't working properly.

I have yet to check them all.
like to ask, isn't it a bit of out of date ?

K7GUH

Joined Jan 28, 2011
Bertus is right about how to do it. In the ideal world, regular backups cover most disasters sufficiently to allow painless recovery. However, you get messes like the one my main desktop currently has, and you have no idea how far back you have to go so as to recover, if you're unable to kill the virus. That's when a separate backup for the system and another for the data will keep you out of trouble. Worst case, you can always restore the system from scratch, but you can't do that with your data. Believe me, on microcomputers there simply isn't an easy way to recover a serious screw up. Take backups frequently, and label them with either generation numbers or date and time stamps. But if you follow the advice of the Grand Master Curmudgeon Emeritus, don't keep the only copy of information you can't afford to lose on a computer. Period.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Bertus is right about how to do it. In the ideal world, regular backups cover most disasters sufficiently to allow painless recovery. However, you get messes like the one my main desktop currently has, and you have no idea how far back you have to go so as to recover, if you're unable to kill the virus. That's when a separate backup for the system and another for the data will keep you out of trouble. Worst case, you can always restore the system from scratch, but you can't do that with your data. Believe me, on microcomputers there simply isn't an easy way to recover a serious screw up. Take backups frequently, and label them with either generation numbers or date and time stamps. But if you follow the advice of the Grand Master Curmudgeon Emeritus, don't keep the only copy of information you can't afford to lose on a computer. Period.
One alternative is simply to stop using Windows! If you eliminate malware as a threat, 90% of your concerns go away.

This is the route I took 12 years ago, and i never looked back!

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
One alternative is simply to stop using Windows! If you eliminate malware as a threat, 90% of your concerns go away.

This is the route I took 12 years ago, and i never looked back!
So did I in '95. Nearly all boxes at home is Linux. Only my laptop is Win 7, the rest is *nix based.

At my daily job, there's a different story...

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I would never have saved a backup on the same media. As I have taken the backup from. Then you run RAID in mirror. You have a safety in that information is stored on two disks. Should one disk crash. You will most probably have one disk that is OK.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
u know when I started saving the recovered files it filled a 500GB at half done. Still have I guess another 500GB worth of data.
I dunno where the heck that came from but I sure did got some juicy AVI's and some hush hush documents that could someone would have my neck.

Now I am wondering where I got it. It definitely is not new.
And I am sure those ain't my files.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I have been interested in setting up a RAID system before, but is it worth it for anything else than professional applications? Is it meaningful to build a RAID rack in a home PC?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
RAID is not a rack....but just two HDD's in Mirror Raid.
It will be inside the PC where the usual HDD bay lies.