Creating a object avoiding BOT

wany

Joined Sep 20, 2010
Hi, nice forum by the way.

I have to do a project for my UNI course. Well the course is not till next year but i would like to get a heads up as early as possible to get some ideas.
One my first idea was to create a robot. basically it would be a car. that avoid object.

It would not hit into the object before it avoid them it would use either radar or IR. I am guessing radar is better. and avoid object.

The basic idea is that you would have two motor.
One to actually drive the car and one to turn the car. The MC would not map out the actually room it's in it would just avoid the first object it comes too close to.

It would also have to reverse if it can't turn and get out.

Basically i would like any help people can offer me.
What driver can i use for the motor. What chip could I use in order to write the code on.

In terms of the radar system i have no clue on that so if any has ever used any sort of small radar system would be a nice as they could give me some advice on that.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
We can't really suggest much, as you have not said anything about your background. There is the matter of resources, as well. What tools/lab supplies does the U provide?

There is not much point to suggest motor drivers with no motors or a chassis selected. If the U provides a programmer for a certain microprocessor family, then use that.

Using radar is going to be exceptionally difficult. A rough rule of thumb is that electromagnetic radiation travels about 1 mile per microsecond. That makes it very hard to get spatial resolution into the centimeter range.

There should be any number of articles that discuss object avoidance using ultrasound.

wany

Joined Sep 20, 2010
I have 3 year student in computer engineering mainly micro-controllers. I have to do a project next year before i graduate and i am thinking up of things to do before hand. I have mainly used the HC12 family of chips. Mainly the DP256B. I actually havn't done any research into it. I just posted it hoping someone could either tell me the difficulties involved maybe they did something similar. I'll check out the ultra-sound. Instead of radar.
In terms of what i have aviable to me basically anything that i would need in order to get this project running. Our labs are fully equipped. From programmers to even printing my own PCB board.

I was hoping some could recommend a motor.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Using radar is going to be exceptionally difficult. A rough rule of thumb is that electromagnetic radiation travels about 1 mile per microsecond. That makes it very hard to get spatial resolution into the centimeter range.
Not to mention that generation of radar level frequencies (several GHz) is going to be difficult as is outputting them at a reasonable power level.

You could try ultrasound, as beenthere mentioned. Also, consider infrared sensors with LEDs. They are more precise (for example, they are not vulnerable to echoes) but have a much shorter range. And they only work in the dark unless your light source can be guaranteed not to emit IR light. Also, try determining how a laser range finder works. Maybe you could use that.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
It might be a good idea to use an RC car for the chassis if budget allows. If you can find one with a servo for the steering and an ESC with reverse for the drive, then you don't have to worry about the mechanicals. That should be fine for a computer engineering project. Cheaper RC cars might not be as hackable if they don't have the ESC and receiver seperate.