cpu for microcontroller

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
I want to design 8 bit micro controller for my basic understanding(paper work) i know microcontroller is made mainly with cpu , mememory and peripheral so I have start to make cpu
cpu is made with alu and control unit
alu is use to perform arithmetic function and logic function
so i use AND OR NOR NAND NOR IC to create logic function
and to create arithmetic function I use adder subtractor
and for control unit I use multiplexer decoder and counter

now I can make cpu with this ICs But i don't understand how many bit are requrie to make alu conrol unit. suppose I want to make 8 bit microcontroller then how many bit are require to make cpu and same things for cpu I want make alu for 8 bit cpu then how i decide how many bit are require to make alu

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
now I can make cpu with this ICs But i don't understand how many bit are requrie to make alu conrol unit. suppose I want to make 8 bit microcontroller then how many bit are require to make cpu and same things for cpu I want make alu for 8 bit cpu then how i decide how many bit are require to make alu
The short answer is 8 bits. But CPU architecture differs from one unit to another. For example, a mulitplier might be 16 bit, although outside of the CPU, all data transfers are 8 bit. The first thing is to decide upon an architecture for your CPU.

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
thanks guys but I haven't find particular answer
In theory i know gates IC like AND NOR NOT NAND NOR XOR XNOR
flip flop D ,T , JK SR I know counter shift register memory a
I know how the alu circuit make , how the control unit make
now i know how to make cpu for controller I need AND OR NOR NAND NOR IC to create logic function
and to create arithmetic function I use adder subtractor
and for control unit I use multiplexer decoder and counter

but I am having problem I know I want to make 8 bit but cpu how to decide bit for other like counter decoder alu I can check datasheet but I want to particular reason
can anyone help me