counting piezoelectric circut

mrmagoo

Joined Sep 17, 2013
First off, hello members of all about circuits and thank you for your time. I am needing some help with a project that requires knowledge outside of my specialties (IE electrical). I am much more comfortable/competent on the mechanical side of engineering, although i am no stranger to soldering/simple stuff.

I am working on a 5 cylinder micro radial engine project (for show). I'm planning on igniting the system using piezoelectric ignition (simple enough to do, I can manage that). However where i am stuck is the design requirements necessitate only a single piezo striker, and small wires remotely creating the spark in each cylinder(such as a bbq striker causes the sparks remotely). I am looking to have the circuit controlled by a single push button, So the first time the button is pressed, cylinder 1 fires. Press it again and cylinder two fires, and etc. And a separate button resets the whole circuit back to 0.

Im hoping I can get buy with a simple counting IC chip, although im unfamiliar with which chips do what. I am concerned about the high voltages involved as well, as a piezoelectric ignition can create 350+ volts easily.

Again thank you for your time, I am totally lost on this one.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
You can use a CD4017 decade counter set to 5, this will give you the repeat counting, you will need to use the outputs to feed the firing circuits.

simply connect pin 15 to pin 1, this will count to 5,

cct

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
If I understand correctly, you want to make an electronic version of a mechanical spark distributor? The voltages that can make any reasonable 'spark' over a gap (typical 20 Kv per inch) are going to be really hard on any semiconductor switch. I would re-think this idea.