Counter circuit help

rainyday101

Joined Sep 24, 2009
Hi I am looking to make a lap counter for a slot car track. I have been looking at using a pair of 4029's to get the two digit lap display in a count up mode. I would also like to activate a flashing light when the first person reaches their lap count. Looking at the 4029 data sheets I see preset jam lines. Are these for presetting the number I would count to via a binary number? The trigger to the counter would be an IR emmitter receiver pair. Ideally I would also like to display fastest lap time for each lane.

Now, I am not a electronics newbee and I am seeing this circuit get quite complicated. I work in the industrial electronics/automation field and worked as an avionics tech doing circuit board repair and troubleshooting about 20 years ago. As these fields electrically are worlds apart my circuit board knowledge is a bit rusty(not to mention things have changed some). Still Ohm's law is Ohm's law. I know I could easily do this project with a $100 PLC (programmable logic controller) and a $450 dollar touch screen, but thats alot of jing for this. So now I am wondering about using a microcontroller and no I haven't used one before. I have written servo programs in basic and am very competent at ladder logic, so I think I could pick it up rather quickly. Learing a microcontroller would open a whole new line of ideas for me. Can anyone recommend a simple inexpensive one?

Also, if i skipped the fastest lap display and just did a lap counter I could make this circuit manageable via a couple of cascaded 4029's. If I did this how would you manage the presets to select the number of laps to count up too?

Thanks in advance, any ideas?

rainyday101

Joined Sep 24, 2009
Hey Russ, after about 8 hours of research, I am going to give the Arduino a try. Best part of it is, I talked my boss into buying it. From what I have read it is just simplier for a beginner to get started. There might very well be better options, but simple to get started is the key for me. Quick results will also make my boss happy! I have so many projects in mind for this new found learning experience and can't wait to tackle it. Thanks for your input. I have bounced back and forth between the PIC and Arduino all day. Alot info out there for both. Once I learn the Arduino well I can always tackle the PIC. I also like the fact that the Arduino boards with the chip have all the support components there and they are really quite reasonably priced.