Could you help me improve this alligator clip connexion with a copper tube

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
What matters is that you have an electrically sound connection, even if you have transient metals in the connection region. As long as it's all the same temperature, the energy transitions will cancel out as you go from one material to the next. Solder's good if you have an alloy that will wet the two alloys. ;)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
In order to avoid inadvertently introducing tiny thermo-electric voltages, use the same material (copper) until you get to the input of the recording instrument (or preamp). Hopefully the two connections there will be at the same temperature.

georgioh

Joined Jun 24, 2020
Are you aware that you are creating a thermocouple when you join two dissimilar metals?
You raise a very good point.
Well I don'r know if my body's temperature will be enough to create a tc but anyway I will only keep the copper tubes in my hands and not cover the junction clip/tube so it should be fine. And in case of the creation of a tc the resulted tension will not be very important to perturbate the circuit, right?

In order to avoid inadvertently introducing tiny thermo-electric voltages, use the same material (copper) until you get to the input of the recording instrument (or preamp). Hopefully the two connections there will be at the same temperature.
I think I am not going to use the alligator clips and I'll directly solder the wires to the tubes. So it will result in a copper/copper soldering which should be perfect. I'll tape the junction to be sure it doesn't come off.

Last edited:

georgioh

Joined Jun 24, 2020
If you solder it right it will take a hammer and chisel to separate!
We are talking about tin soldering not TIG/MIG soldering, right? haha :)
Well everytime I solder something I have to manipulate it with care to avoid breaking the junction.
I should really train to make better solderings.
Since the tubes will be moved many times in hands I know in advance my soldering won't last long.

That's the same for coloidal silver and many other useful products used since centuries, all banned by the FDA.

Silver has anti-bacterial properties and it's used in medicine. I have fried that's making and using it. medicine uses something called Silver Alginate in bandages which I have used.

I think the "best" connection method for the TS is the crimp and a screw/nut combination. You do need a special tool to do it properly. There are some better suited screws/nuts/studs developed for grounding. A star washer or nut with the star washer attached should work. e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keps_nut

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
To do a really good job of producing a good connection that will last a very long time you will need a bit of heat and a bit of effort. Also a bit of some sort of temporary insulation to wrap around the pipe while you solder to it.
The trick will be to do the connection on the inside of the pipe section with the wire entering the pipe from the opposite end. That will keep all of the flexing away from the solder connection. You will need to sand a bit of the inside of the pipe and then use a bit of flux to assure that the solder bonds to the surface. Just a small area, a 1/4 inch diameter spot, is all that needs to be tinned on the inside, right next to the edge. Then also tin the end of the wire and put it through the pipe and solder the tinned end of the wire to the tinned spot on the pipe inside. Now you have a permanent connection that will not be bothered by flexing at the solder joint.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Unless you're going to put it in your mouth regular solder will work just fine. However, silver solder is stronger and melts at a higher temperature which most irons can achieve. Hope this helps.

The bigger problem, I think is the flexing of the wire itself. You have test probe wire and silicone insulated wire which is much more flexible. Stranded wire typically has two strandings. Litz wire can also be more flexible. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litz_wire

What I was getting at was to basically use plumbing techniques to add one or two endcaps with one having a hole for an uninsulated banana plug.

You might be able to go this route:

1624904712192.png

I don;t have time right now to look for the male. The advantage would be the rotation that's possible so the wires would last longer.

georgioh

Joined Jun 24, 2020
hi georgioh
Please keep your posts on the Topic of your original post
ie: Soldering to a Copper Tube
else the Thread will be Closed.

Moderation.
I was just explaining why this kind of device is helpful and how it could help since many people are mistakening its purpose, citing sources and everything. And also why the FDA is not your friend.
You deleted my whole post and I don't like this kind of behaviour, my post was not written in a bad way or insulting, I brought proofs on the table to explain my point of view. It was not off topic since it concerned the device I am building.

Anyway frequencies are the key my friends, as Einstein once said everything is vibration.
If you want to go further on the subject look for Rife's work, and you will be mind blown.

Thank you guys for all your help, I really appreciate it.
Mods you can close the thread if you please.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I was just explaining why this kind of device is helpful and how it could help since many people are mistakening its purpose, citing sources and everything. And also why the FDA is not your friend.
You deleted my whole post and I don't like this kind of behaviour, my post was not written in a bad way or insulting, I brought proofs on the table to explain my point of view. It was not off topic since it concerned the device I am building.

Anyway frequencies are the key my friends, as Einstein once said everything is vibration.
If you want to go further on the subject look for Rife's work, and you will be mind blown.

This is the very first time I have seen a post closed just because of wandering. A caution comment woud certainly have been enough.

click_here

Joined Sep 22, 2020

Both of our posts were deleted due to being off topic.

I really liked the crimping idea, because it doesn't require all that heat to solder and you don't have to worry about lead/flux/...

Good luck with it all

click_here

Joined Sep 22, 2020
It's nice to know what the application is, but what do I know? You can help better if you know the amplitude is 1mV or 8V. The Seabeck effect doesn't matter at 8V.
Post #8 says that it is in the uA range. Let's say 100,000 ohms between hands and 500uA, this would be 50VDC.

I believe that the problem with my posts was my skepticism in the validity of the claims made by Hulda Regehr Clark were not relating to the original question.

Jim@HiTek

Joined Jul 30, 2017
Dump the copper and clip lead. Go with conductive gloves with snap connectors. I put a bit of water and a dash of salt under the elastic band when I'm using my 3mA device. Kills bacteria. I noticed that most of the conductive wire is in the elastic band that could be cut off the glove portion too. So there's another way to go.

Conductive gloves

I'm wondering why the current is so low. Skin resistance is very high as long as the skin isn't broken. One of my circuits puts out 3mA (limited), the other is limited to 2mA. So 2,000 to 3,000 uA. Decades ago I designed an electro sleep therapy device that strapped to the head and even that was in the mA range. No one should get weird about it, because I could never find a doctor to be part of the project so moved on to other fun things. The Russians used electro sleep for a while but I lost track of the white papers that detailed the studies after a few years. The US worked along the same lines but they kept toooo quiet about it to glean any useful design info.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Conductive glovers would be hard to drop if things went wrong. Dropping things i reflexive.

By "wrong" I mean getting a lot more current than intended.

Last edited:

georgioh

Joined Jun 24, 2020
Dump the copper and clip lead. Go with conductive gloves with snap connectors. I put a bit of water and a dash of salt under the elastic band when I'm using my 3mA device. Kills bacteria. I noticed that most of the conductive wire is in the elastic band that could be cut off the glove portion too. So there's another way to go.

Conductive gloves

I'm wondering why the current is so low. Skin resistance is very high as long as the skin isn't broken. One of my circuits puts out 3mA (limited), the other is limited to 2mA. So 2,000 to 3,000 uA. Decades ago I designed an electro sleep therapy device that strapped to the head and even that was in the mA range. No one should get weird about it, because I could never find a doctor to be part of the project so moved on to other fun things. The Russians used electro sleep for a while but I lost track of the white papers that detailed the studies after a few years. The US worked along the same lines but they kept toooo quiet about it to glean any useful design info.
Yep that kills bacterias and parasites, what I'm saying from the start haha. Very interesting, didn't know about these gloves. The big advantage would be to have free hands while zapping, instead of holding the copper tubes.