Could this work?

gusmas

Joined Sep 27, 2008
Hey all

So I want do a small project for myself for the following reasons:

1.Keep my interest in electronic engineering going.
2. Teach myself programming.
3. Understanding how theory and practical work with one another.

The project will have 2 parts.

Part1:

The transmitter:

The transmitter will be a remote that i will use the control the volume level for my speakers on my computer.

Part2:

The receiver:

1.Will be at the computer com port, it will communicate with the computer via the comport.
2. and i must create an application that will use the data that is received from the receiver through the com port to increase/decrease the volume.
3. The program must run continously in the background not using alot of computer resources.

I have 2 years electrical engineering theory behind my name, currently doing a practical year.

What do you guys think?

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
There is no reason why it wouldn't work. But does it have to be the com port? You can get small (and cheap) bluetooth modules that you could use. Also IR modules if there is a clear line of site.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Not knowing your skill set int that area, but I'm wondering if it would be rewarding considering the complexity. As an electrical engineer, wouldn't power management, PLCs, SCADA, be more career orientated?

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Sounds like a good introduction. Presumably a microcontroller in the transmitter and one in the receiver. IR is probably a good way to go using an IR reciever like the TSOP3848.
I only know PIC micros, but the PIC16F628A has all the capability you need for the receiver - it does serial communication easily. Anything would work for the transmitter, even down to the PIC10F200 which is very basic and also very easy to use.