Could someone help me please

Gunz1159

Joined Oct 12, 2010
Hellow,
I have got a 5V relay for a circuit can i connect it to one point of the 240v power supply according to the diagram ? ? ? ? ? ? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:?

Jaguarjoe

Joined Apr 7, 2010
1) Without seeing the drawing (because it didn't appear in your post) no, you can not connect a 5 volt relay to a 240 volt line. Unless you are using an isolation transformer, you could suffer serious injury. Even with a transformer you could still get hurt. Others will chime in with even more terse warnings.

2) Where is your diagram?

Engr

Joined Mar 17, 2010
The 5V relay you are talking about, is this the relay after the 120V AC in your diagram? If that is the relay then I think it can be connected to the 240V AC Power Supply. The 5V specs of the relay is the supply of the coil of the relay....

Gunz1159

Joined Oct 12, 2010
Hi sir,

Thank u for ur idea can u send me the circuit edited with the 120v to 240v Ac please . . . . . ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ??

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
To answer this question correctly you need to provide the part number (or datashet) for the relay you used.
Some relays have contact ratings up to 240VAC but many do not and only allow 120V on the contact side.

Just so you know, it's a bad design. There is no real IR datastream decoding so the device will trigger on stray IR signals from almost everything. You really need some form of logic or better yet a microcontroller to allow the device to ignore remote control data not intended for it. Google SIRCS to get an idea what I'm talking about.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
To answer this question correctly you need to provide the part number (or datashet) for the relay you used.
Some relays have contact ratings up to 240VAC but many do not and only allow 120V on the contact side.
And some are only rated for 12V or more commonly 28 VDC. The ratings are there to indicate that the contacts open fast enough and end up far away from each other that arcing won't occur. You might be able to operate a 240V device with a 120V contact rated relay but I certainly wouldn't try it with a low voltage contact rated one.

In addition some will also show a HP (horsepower) rating. These are usually better relays as they offer more arc resistance when switching inductive loads.