Could one make a device to block or distort cell phones from working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony8404

Joined Jun 11, 2008
Hello everyone,

Well, I am one who could do without or really does not care about cell phones. Except others in my household could not live with out one mainly wife and daughter. To me this addiction is worse then crack and costs just about the same. I have tried to get better plans and what not but still if they do not go over on call usage/minutes then the texting gets out of control. It is always one or the other and i am tired of making the phone company rich.
I had thought the other day, if it is possible to some how when they are at home to not use the cell and use the internet for them to talk but no they want to use the phone, i had asked them to please only use the phones when out of the house cause at home we already pay for the internet and they can use facebook. It was like talking to the wall and totally able to tell they did not understand me.
So my idea is this, is there a way i can make a device that when turned on at home, i could possibly block there cell phones from being used? I guess i am saying to make a device that will be able to distort frequencies or scramble them? Maybe not such a good idea but i thought it would be a cool project and would at least for the time there home and the phones not being used i could save a fortune... thanks guys

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
As Bychon says, for example my cousins have pre-paid cards, so they can call only as much as you are willing to pay. But i have no idea if prepaid still works where you live.

Other thing comes to my mind, which si the internet part. You can get something like skype into a (newer) cellphone, and when you are in range of wifi, you can call for free, that is of course when the other end is skype as well. Again no idea on the wifi coverage in your area.

Scrambling the signal is a very bad idea as it is illegal, better take the sim cards and issue them as needed :D

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Mobile phone jammers already exist. They are illegal almost everywhere. It would be very hard to contruct one that jammed a house but didn't interfere with the neighbours (unless you don't live near anyone else).

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Blocking cell phones is difficult and illegal. Discussion of how to do it is not allowed on this site.

You might consider re-wiring your cell phone charger to damage whatever phone is plugged into it. At least it will blow any reverse-polarity safety fuse in the phone. Then you can take it to the river to get it fixed.

Not paying your telephone bill will ruin your credit too, as long as you are married. There is an alternative to being married.

Get a lover and call her on your wife's cell phone. That will keep your wife from using up all the minutes and may help with the credit reporting problem too.

Just put on your pants and say no cell phone withing 100 yards of the house. If your wife or daughter ever put their cell phones down, hide them. That will solve the problem one way or another.

Good luck.

John

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
just wrap your house in mylar to make it a faraday cage. I had a friend who just had a new house built with special roof decking/siding,etc.. that had mylar backing.. He couldn't get a cell phone signal in is new house so he had to pay to have repeaters put in so he could use his phone in the house. His attic was never hot though.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

We will not assist in illegal practices:

From the Terms of Service:

Electricity, applications using electricity and electrical equipment and materials are dangerous and have the potential to kill or severely harm an individual or individuals, and to cause damage to property and possessions. By using the All About Circuits Forums and website, you acknowledge that you understand the potential consequences to yourself and others around you when using electricity and electrical equipment.
Bertus

Status
Not open for further replies.