Could a hackless computer be built

dthx

Joined May 2, 2013
My Youtube account was hacked .....I had at least 3 established connections looking at my data....and numerous other hacks....from China and Indonesia....numerous charges on my Visa....to France..Never been to France...
I am having it fixed and paying a fee to have the Microsoft folks set up a secure line for me....
Or at least that is the plan....we'll see....
But....could you build a computer with two separate processors...one to receive and one to send data.....
Why cant we send THEM a damaging virus when the hack our stuff....?
Like sending a missile down the radar beam to a SAM site....

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Not really, the best way is to come up with a random number/text generator as long as they will allow.

It sounds as if your computer was hacked, which is pretty bad. There is not secure computer, not really, but Linux is still such a small percentage that it is usually not worth the bad guys while.

My PayPal account was hacked, thanks to incompetence on PayPal's part. It was hacked at their end, and I could never get a person on PayPal. My bank did not allow the fraudulent charges to go through, and I dropped my account with PayPal and never looked back.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Yes, a computer that is permanently off.

A friend of mine in UK was shocked to learn that her computer (laptop) was physically accessed when she was not at home. Luckily somebody discovered the inminent disaster when she complained that the laptop was acting funny. Banks swiftly blocked everything and suggested to start with fresh accounts, passwords et al. It took days for her to recovery from the bad feeling of privacy breaching in such a way.

An additional touch: the cost of "cleaning" (or whatever) her laptop was rather high.

I've been always a little reluctant to take this seriously but this case is a red light for me.

That is why I go to the bank by walking and the only data about me in my PC is the same phone number that is listed in the phone directory.

Phone numbers of all my girlfriends are in my mind only. I am good for phone numbers.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

No computer can be build that is unhackable.

A linux system has already some more security build-in, like the user-management system.
A linux user can only see the data of users that are in the same group, but if set not overwite the data.
Programs can only be installed using the "root" password.

An other measure for safety can be "sandboxing":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbox_(computer_security)

Bertus

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
I believe a hack proof computer could be built and it could sustain that title until the 'hounds of hacking' hack into it to take down its title.

luvv

Joined May 26, 2011
Is it really hacking when the owner installs the malicious software?

In that case a hacker is more like a...waiter,just waits for the machine to call home.

IMO,there isn't really a need for a"un-hackable pc" just a ton of network security to limit,block,encrypt all calls coming and going.

That said,if you want a fairly bulletproof pc try using linux based live os(s) w/ no reserved memory option.

Then when you bank or w/e it's a brand new clean install every time, zero chance of malicious software,shut the pc down, remove the flash stick and never worry.(much like bertus's sand boxing suggestion)

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I have 3 unhackable computers in my closet. If you want to hack these computers, you have to come into my house, shoot me, reassemble the computers, and then figure out what's wrong with them. At this point "hacking" takes a back seat to murder and armed robbery.

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
Programs can only be installed using the "root" password.
That's not true, I've installed several programs with my administration account without the superuser password. Only system programs (or updates) need the superuser password.