cosine rules

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
ive been working on sine and cosine rules out this book, but they only do one example of each so ive had to rearrange them for the complete set but i still end up with the same angle using either, just need some clarification wether there right:

for e.g a/SIN A = b/SIN B = c/SIN C ,

a = c x SIN A/SIN C. SIN A = a x SIN B/B

b = a x SIN B/SIN A. SIN B = b x SIN C/C

c = b x SIN C/SIN B. SIN C = c x SIN A/A

Last edited:

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Can you include parenthesis and keep the notation constant to be more specific?
They seem right but I can't be sure if you alternate the letter for the sides from small to capital.

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
TWO ANGLES given plus ANY SIDE
a = b x SIN A / SIN B
b = c x SIN B / SIN C
c = b x SIN C / SIN B

TWO SIDES given plus an ANGLE NOT ENCLOSED by them
SIN A = a x SIN B / b
SIN B = b x SIN C / c

ive created numerous triangles and i think this is write so far but for SIN C theres two where the answer is very close for each and i dont no what ones write:
SIN C = c x SIN B / b (i believe this may be the correct one)
SIN C = c x SIN A / a

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
All of your formulas are correct, but be careful when trying to find an angle, as Papabravo stated. You will get 2 answers and you must use your intuition and problem data to filter the wrong one.

The video linked is very informative.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
studiot said:
Have I been promoted?
I don't know about you, but E-book Developer is the highest rank I 'd like to have. Any higher and it would be too much work on the site to keep me interested in.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
but E-book Developer is the highest rank I 'd like to have
It's not all milk and honey you know.
Especially since they won't adopt my suggestion of free beer for this rank.

No, by promotion I was thinking of being compared to papabravo and his ghost presence in this thread.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Free beer, eh? I 'm not in heaven yet, so I guess I can't have any.

As for your rep, I can't verify it personally, only time can.
Especially if you consider the phrase that says "Only after someone's death you can judge him properly", or something like that.

I for once, don't want to compete for the position of the "Math guru". What I would like however is the visitor of the site to acknowledge the time I spend here and that I generally provide correct answers.