corrosion!!

kaushikgreat

Joined May 22, 2008
hey guys, new here. wanted some help regarding a project we are about to do about linear polarization resistance, corrosion rate monitoring.
well, we have a project at hand to evaluate the cast iron pipelines (water mains) failures due to external corrosion of the pipe in corrosive soils.

so, we plan to set up a Linear Polarization resistance instrument, to obtain the corrosion rates of the metal in different media, soil, changing different conditions and stuff like that..

So, now the question is regarding the apparatus and system for the required project, as none of the literature available gives information regarding the actual apparatus for LPR measurements in the laboratory. Most of the information regarding the procedure and how it is done is available. I wish to actual apparatus i need to assemble for LPR measurements of the Iron metal (may experiment with other alloys as well.) corrosion rate in different environments (basically soil, changing pH, and other parameters influencing corrosion) and may be in test aqueous as well solution.:)

I basically belong to structural engineering background, so have not got much command over electrochemistry and stuff, but have theorical knowledge, which i guess is not much use for assembling the system :confused:

any sort of input will be highly appreciated!!. i need to come up with a system quickly else my job is at stake!!. thanks a lot.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
I presented a paper on this a few years back at the International Structural Maintenance Conference in London.

I was applying it to steel reinforcement in concrete, but the principle is the same, and it was originally developed for pipelines anyway.

Where in the world are you ?

PM me an email address and I will try to dig out the article and some references.

There are some commercial outfits the install this sort of monitoring, but I can't advertise them here.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
You have a reply with an attachment, please let me know if you received this.

If there is any more interest in the subject in this forum we should publish some details.

kaushikgreat

Joined May 22, 2008
oh yes i did receive, the attachment. i did not check that as i was out for the long week end. will do it right away and let you know. Thank you.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Try this animation

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/somerset/Local%20Settings/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/Content.IE5/CRMDA9E7/263,5,Measurement Methods

kaushikgreat

Joined May 22, 2008
hey, thanks a lot for the replies, the ppt was helpful.
finally built a model, 2 electrode to start with, will eventually make amends depending on the response.
Got a 2 electrode system , potentiostat in the circuitry. shall start experimentation shortly.
thanks