cordless phone charger redesign 120v to 230v

Status
Not open for further replies.

mugunthans

Joined Jun 23, 2009
Hi,
I wanted to modify the input power range from 120v to 230V Panasonic cordless phone charger SMPS type, which is currently supporting only 120v AC.
I have opened the charger and tried to find the similarity with Nokia charger(100-230v), but not much information.
It has UTC MJE 13003L - High Voltage Fast-Switching NPN Power Transistor. Also other SMD component 6pin DIP but unable to find #,manufacturere details but it shows LĀBU

Fuse resistor - 10Ω
Input filter capasitor - 4.7μF 200v
Input Inductance - 470mH

Can anybody thro' some light on this.

Thanks in advance,
Mugunth

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
No chance on converting it; you will have to replace so many components it won't be worth it. You could try comparing the output voltage of the Nokia and Panasonic chargers; if they are compatible, you could either replace the tip on that one, or buy a cheaper one which does the same and replace the tip too.

mugunthans

Joined Jun 23, 2009
Thanks, but the cost of the BOM is less than a new local adaptor when I enquired.
So thought of changing the components....
I know that i have to change the Capasitor 4.7μF200v to 4.7μF400v, L1 to 1mH and FR to 20Ω
I guess base voltate to 13003 also to be modified.
But rest no idea. Is it mandatory to replace the transformer ?

mugunthans

Joined Jun 23, 2009
Would it be possible to achieve by double the value of each components at primary side, except the transformer ?

can anybody thro' some light on it please?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Doubling won't help, it won't work.
I have too started that kinda venture.

I am checking it as time permits, I have the pics will upload it as I get time.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Get a new charger! If you mess about trying to modify the old one you are unlikely to succeed. You will probably waste money burning out a bunch of components, and you could well have an accident.

Even if the charger seems to be working after modification, it may not be safe: is it worth risking burning the house down?

mugunthans

Joined Jun 23, 2009
Doubling won't help, it won't work.
I have too started that kinda venture.

I am checking it as time permits, I have the pics will upload it as I get time.
It has very less number of components. 9 resistors, 5 capasitor, 1 inductor, 4 diode, 1 transistor. I'll post the pic of the PCB. It has very simple design. bcs of that i tempted to redesign.

anyway thanks for your response...

mugunthans

Joined Jun 23, 2009
Get a new charger! If you mess about trying to modify the old one you are unlikely to succeed. You will probably waste money burning out a bunch of components, and you could well have an accident.

Even if the charger seems to be working after modification, it may not be safe: is it worth risking burning the house down?
The other reason for redesign is the cost of the OEM charger is 1/3 of the product cost :eek:
But local charger is also available.
when i look at the components inside, even if i change all the part, it will be lesser the cost than a local transformer charger.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
At $10 for new phone chargers cant see the point realy. Pic of a Nokia phone charger using a MJE3003 transistor & is 100v to 240v input. These plug packs can sometimes be purchased for as low as $5 for superseeded models at Supermarkets.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.