Cordless drill charger what does letter T mean next to + and -

diesalweasel

Joined Aug 28, 2010
Hi got a mystery here I'm trying to dianose a dewalt charger. I noticed there is letters on it and it in between the + and - example +T- what does the T function do. Does it.look for resistance or does it look to see if a battery is there

The problem i have is when there is no battery in i will get an out put of around 24v the red light will be lit

But as soon as i put a battery in the red light will go off and not to be seen again i own 3 battery

The power pack shorted on me i found a burnt out resistor and a shorted mosfet i swapped them and the short has not gone

Thank in advance

Marley

Joined Apr 4, 2016
The third terminal is for a thermistor that measures the temperature of the battery (so "T" for temperature sensor). This is important to prevent over-charging and to regulate the charge depending on ambient temperature.

diesalweasel

Joined Aug 28, 2010
Many thanks for your reply. Why were on the subject of letters. On a bosch charger 4 pin out put i noticed this had a letter C so for example + c t - what would this guy tell the charger?

LahrenD

Joined Oct 28, 2019
Thanks to you, I was able to figure out where the thermal sensor went in an 18v battery I acquired. The charger didn't recognize it without the thermal sensor.
The third terminal is for a thermistor that measures the temperature of the battery (so "T" for temperature sensor). This is important to prevent over-charging and to regulate the charge depending on ambient temperature.