Copyright question

webplodder

Joined Mar 23, 2010
I was thinking of using diagrams from the 'All About Circuits' E-books in a free, online teaching project about electronics. I was also thinking about using a simulated voice to, more or less, produce an audible replication of the text. What problems should I be aware of?

Thank you.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

On the opening page of the AAC this is given:

This site provides a series of online textbooks covering electricity and electronics. The information provided is great for both students and hobbyists who are looking to expand their knowledge in this field. These textbooks were written by Tony R. Kuphaldt and released under the Design Science License.
Here is the desciption of the "Design Science Licence":
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/l_dsl.html

Bertus

codeboy2k

Joined Jun 18, 2012
I am not a lawyer, but from reading the license it appears to be a type of copyleft, and thus the information in the books freely copyable, in whole or in part, and redistributable, in whole or in part, so long as you attribute the original author on the parts you take and use in your derivative work. Furthermore, your derivative work must also be released under the same license terms, i.e. it must be released under the same Design Science License.

webplodder

Joined Mar 23, 2010
I am not a lawyer, but from reading the license it appears to be a type of copyleft, and thus the information in the books freely copyable, in whole or in part, and redistributable, in whole or in part, so long as you attribute the original author on the parts you take and use in your derivative work. Furthermore, your derivative work must also be released under the same license terms, i.e. it must be released under the same Design Science License.

Thanks codeboy, but exactly what steps do I have to take, in plain language, when posting images and/or text to other websites from the e-books here?

Last edited:

codeboy2k

Joined Jun 18, 2012
Again I am not a lawyer, but it would seem that you must quote the source of your image if you take it and post it on another website (clearly must not be mistaken for your own work) and (2) your entire post to that website then becomes a derivative work that must be released under the Design Science License. It is not clear to me whether or not you must state that license term, or it simply is.

What this means is that your posting, the text of it, and the included graphics you have taken from this site must be available for anyone else to also use, modify and redistribute under the same Design Science License terms. Your textual work is copyrighted by you, the author, but the license allows others to also re-use your work (which is a derivative work of this site). If someone else does reuse your work, they must attribute it to you, and similarly release it under the Design Science License.

webplodder

Joined Mar 23, 2010
Again I am not a lawyer, but it would seem that you must quote the source of your image if you take it and post it on another website (clearly must not be mistaken for your own work) and (2) your entire post to that website then becomes a derivative work that must be released under the Design Science License. It is not clear to me whether or not you must state that license term, or it simply is.

What this means is that your posting, the text of it, and the included graphics you have taken from this site must be available for anyone else to also use, modify and redistribute under the same Design Science License terms. Your textual work is copyrighted by you, the author, but the license allows others to also re-use your work (which is a derivative work of this site). If someone else does reuse your work, they must attribute it to you, and similarly release it under the Design Science License.
Many thanks, codeboy2k, I appreciate your reply, although like you, I'm not entirely clear exactly what I'm expected to do to completely comply with the requirements of the license. You have made things a bit clearer, nevertheless. Thanks again.