copper conductors

masudasim

Joined Jul 10, 2010
Hello all

I need an insulated multi stranded copper conductor which can carry 8-9 Amp current, should be screened, having an insulation which can withstand working voltage of 1.5KVrms atlleast. Moreover insulation should be flexability as this cable is needed to be wind/unwind regularly.

As for as current carrying capacity is concerned, i think AWG11/12 will be suitable for me. The problem i face is finding a combination of individually screening, flexibility as well as high working voltage i.e. 1.5 KVrms.

Can any one kindly suggest any solution especially regarding type of insulation suitable (for 1.5KVrms and flexible) as well as screening?

Thanks

Note:The most common insulation i found during search is PVC but its flexibility/Voltage rating is in question.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
what kind of hardware is it required to un/wind from, and how long a distance does it have to cover... pictures would help... and where on earth are you...:D

Standard 7-lead thermostat wire is fairly close to what you need... 24 awg stranded conductors, PTFE insulation.
I hook florescent lighting up with it, so voltage is not an issue, since it does not have to flex... tho' there are many ways of "skinning a cat" :rolleyes:

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Voltage IS an issue.. typical 150V or 300V thermostat wire is NOT suitable for 1500V working voltage...
:D You are right , Mcgyvr, Florescents are HV items indeed, tho' the current is so low, and my Hi-Pot indicated the insulation would handle the load -
This setup was one temporary unit for lighting in my shop, after my 1 year old $ 13 chinese florescent fixtures' ballast violently released its magic smoke and a shower of hot tar... cussed chinese <snip> anyway -- the stench of burning ballast lingers still...

The temporary lighting has since been dismantled, and replaced with some good Made in U.S.A. gear, and I wouldn't recommend anyone else trying to build anything like it...

Last edited:

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
:D You are right , Mcgyvr, Florescents are HV items indeed, tho' the current is so low, and my Hi-Pot indicated the insulation would handle the load -
This setup was one temporary unit for lighting in my shop, after my 1 year old $ 13 chinese florescent fixtures' ballast violently released its magic smoke and a shower of hot tar... cussed chinese <snip> anyway -- the stench of burning ballast lingers still...

The temporary lighting has since been dismantled, and replaced with some good Made in U.S.A. gear, and I wouldn't recommend anyone else trying to build anything like it...
Just because it "works" doesn't mean its right.. Since I actually work in the professional world I know that you MUST ensure the items you use are rated to the levels you need.. If I went into UL with a product designed for 1.5kV working voltage with a 600V rated cable they will just laugh me out of there (at my expense)..

Heck even the thinnest wire insulation should pass a 1000V hipot test.. But voltage ratings are determined by way more than just a "fresh insulation" hipot test.

So my answers on this forum are usually from a "I don't care if it works.. if it isn't rated for that then don't do it" perspective.