Coosing a Current Shunt.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
The supplies I had in mind can Supply 10 to 12 Amps .

I like to chose a current shunt. I chose this.

Will it be suitable or do I need to go for high rating like 20A.

I never used these before.
I like to know the what the data actually says.

I am thinking that if it says 75mV 15A, it will drop a total of 75mV when 15A of current flows through it.

OR is it 75mV per 1 Amps ?

Last edited:

odinhg

Joined Jul 22, 2009
The downside with buying components from eBay is that they usually don't provide a good datasheet or complete specifications.

But for all the current shunt resistors I have used in the past, the current rating have been for continuous operation. So a 15A shunt should be enough.

I'm pretty sure it is 75mV/15A (5mΩ). Also based on previous experience.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
the 75 mv indicates that it is to be used with a 75mv meter, and voltage drop acorss the shunt is 75mv at 15A. if you use a shunt with .001 Ohm,you would read 15 mv at 15 amps. most of these surplus shunts were not designed with digital meters in mind.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I've bought a few of these off EBay, different values but similar when I needed a .0025 ohm reference resistance.

My $3000 Keithley micro ohmmeter says it is spot on. Had to snag it away when a load bank needed a sense resistor and 20A thru the 30A rated device goes on all day.

They have an excellent Kelvin terminal arrangement. I used similar decades ago that were 10 times the price.