Converting low-drain mains to work on a battery/pack

RoseRodent

Joined Dec 9, 2009
Hi, I am new and I really know nothing to less than nothing about electronic projects, but willing to learn. I am disabled and I often find that I have to manufacture my own gadgets and stuff because there either isn't a product like it on the market yet or there is one for hundreds of dollars plus shipping to the UK, so do bear in mind that I am coming from a standpoint of total ignorance. ;)

I am hoping it is possible to convert a mains-operated fish tank filter to work on batteries. Until I have some idea of whether or not it's possible I don't own a fish tank filter, so of course it's a wee bit chicken and egg as I can't tell you the details of the voltage, current, etc. off it. I presume that as it's a device which contacts with water it must have an output voltage to the device of less than 240V even if it does plug into the mains.

In outline terms, how does one go about this sort of task, is it possible? If it does run directly from 240V is it possible to convert it somehow to run from a lower voltage provided I step up one of the other figures? When I say I need it to run on batteries I do mean portable ones, anything up to about 2 pounds/1kg in weight absolute total maximum, but the smaller/lighter the better.

Where do I start with this project? (Other than getting a filter so I can get the stats off it, as I can't get out to get one)

Thanks.