Converting Car Alarm to Speaker

amaxonor

Joined Mar 13, 2009
I have a bull-horn type car alarm lying around and I'm looking to make it into a loud speaker that can accept an 1/8" audio jack. It runs on 12V. When I opened it up I found a circuit board inside that gives it the characteristic car alarm sound which then has (+) and (-) going to the speaker element. My question is this:
How can I remove the circuit board in the middle to make it a regular loud speaker and then have an audio input to play from my iPod?

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I have a bull-horn type car alarm lying around and I'm looking to make it into a loud speaker that can accept an 1/8" audio jack. It runs on 12V. When I opened it up I found a circuit board inside that gives it the characteristic car alarm sound which then has (+) and (-) going to the speaker element. My question is this:
How can I remove the circuit board in the middle to make it a regular loud speaker and then have an audio input to play from my iPod?
Photos would help you get more/better responses. But here's a guess. Build a small audio amplifier that will fit where the present circuit board is now. Many such amplifiers have been built using an LM386 IC. Here's a photo of one that I built. It works, but the audio is not high fidelity, but then you are not going to get high fidelity from a bull horn no matter what kind of amplifier you use.

Attachments