converting ac to dc

phaneendra27

Joined May 3, 2010
sir i have a doubt about converting ac to dc !whta is the main requirement of it!!!
please help me sir with your kind heart!!!!!!!!!!!!

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I found this post on the end of an existing thread.
We call that hyjacking over here.

Now you have your own thread.

For the question: what have you found yet and what are your problems with it.

Bertus

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
For those who would like to see a practical PSU in the workings, these pictures are for you.

The first picture depicts a ordinary sine wave. As beenthere said, you could use a transformer to step down the voltage to a more appropriate level. I then put in rectification on the second picture, and notice what that did.

I'm going to leave the last part of PSU design up to the OP, what last component is necessary in order to achieve DC?

Austin

Attachments

Engr

Joined Mar 17, 2010
Just an additional to what beenthere said, after the filter you can place a regulator to regulate the output voltage.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
sir i have a doubt about converting ac to dc !whta is the main requirement of it!!!
please help me sir with your kind heart!!!!!!!!!!!!
The main requirement for doing the conversion is that many devices and applications require DC. In fact they will not work directly from the AC mains.

A related questions is why the power mains are AC instead of DC. The answer was pretty well determined in the latter part of the 19th century, in a battle royal between titans of science and industry. I'll let you do the research on that one, but I can tell you it is a fascinating story.