Convert variable DC to 120V 60Hz AC

ptpaterson

Joined Aug 24, 2010
I have the project that is to create a small scale wind turbine. It must be able to compensate for varying winds and loads to maintain 120V 60Hz AC. I am expecting the DC generator to put out a maximum of a couple hundred Watts.

What can I do to convert this to a steady AC current at 60HZ? I have not selected a generator so I am not sure what the output voltage will be. Any suggestions for choosing one?

Would a modified sin wave inverter work? That is be able to handle the varying input?

Thank you.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You first need to define what your loads' requirements are.

Things like light bulbs and other purely resistive loads like heaters will work OK from a modified sine wave. Motors won't.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Also, my laptop (Dell Studio 15) would never charge from an inverter. Apparently this is a problem with some Dell chargers.

You may be able to get away with a simple 12V automotive inverter. The battery voltage can vary from 11.8V (low) to around 13.8V, and the inverter should be able to handle that. Out of that range, though, is anyone's guess. Most would probably shut off below 11V to protect the battery.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Tons of info on this out on the internet lately with the great interest in wind power, on a larger scale though.

Seems to me it's going to be more efficient (and possibly easier) to have a buffer inbetween as in the turbine charges a smalll equipment/motorcycle battery which powers the inverter.