Convert Matlab to VHDL

Sesshomaru

Joined Feb 24, 2008
Can anyone suggest me a software that converts a code in matlab to vhdl and vice-versa...after posting this thread only i understood i had posted it twice....i dunno how to change the title..sorry for the trouble caused by me...

Last edited:

roddefig

Joined Apr 29, 2008
Simulink HDL Coder will convert Simulink models to VHDL or Verilog. There may be some functionality to bring HDL code into Simulink. I do know there is a function in Xilinx System Generator, a similar product, that will simulate HDL code. I don't think there is anything available for m-code. See http://www.mathworks.com/products/slhdlcoder/

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
The only thing I know that provides anything like this functionality reliably is AccelDSP from Xilinx. I would, however, caution against using code-converters in this way as you are likely to get redundant or broke code because of the limitations in the conversion process.

You may wish to consider the option of converting Matlab to C and C to VHDL as there are several (fairly reliable) converters on the market for this. Again, you are likely to end up with redundant or broken code. Always best to design from scratch.

Dave

roddefig

Joined Apr 29, 2008
I would, however, caution against using code-converters in this way as you are likely to get redundant or broke code because of the limitations in the conversion process.
I've had good experiences with Xilinx System Generator. It's come a long way since their first release. I wouldn't do my entire design in it, but for the DSP sections it saves me quite a bit of time, especially when it comes to debugging.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I've had good experiences with Xilinx System Generator. It's come a long way since their first release. I wouldn't do my entire design in it, but for the DSP sections it saves me quite a bit of time, especially when it comes to debugging.
Have you tried using it on your own bespoke M-code, or have you only synthesised the design from Simulink models?

I might trust its reliability on the latter more than the former because of the pre-defined structure of the Simulink blocks.

Dave

roddefig

Joined Apr 29, 2008
Oh no, it only works from Simulink models, though I think there may be functionality to work from simple M-code. And, you build the model using blocks from their own library.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Oh no, it only works from Simulink models, though I think there may be functionality to work from simple M-code. And, you build the model using blocks from their own library.
Yes, thought as much. I don't use Simulink often, so might not be worth having a look at, is certainly one I will to the bookmarks for future though.

Dave