Convert composite video to RGB

CVMichael

Joined Aug 3, 2007
Is there a chip that converts composite video to RGB? (like the component RGB).

I want to read composite video (the RGB image) using a microcontroller, like a PIC32

I found chips to do the opposite, like ADV7120 with AD724, to make a composite video using a microcontroller, but can't find how to take an existing composite video signal, and convert to RGB data that a microcontroller can process...

Also... (not as important), is there a chip that combines the ADV7120 and AD724, into one chip?

Composite is gubbage, making it RGB will only make it worse.

A microcontroller can be programmed to process composite video. It'll look pretty bad if it's an analog NTSC source. What's the source?

CVMichael

Joined Aug 3, 2007
Well, I don't have a final source yet... right now I want to use my GoPro HERO3 camera, get the composite video, and have on screen display, and also, when I have a second (or multiple) sources/cameras, I want to do picture in picture.

I want to learn how to play with video in general... but the main thing that started this is because I want to get a quadcopter (don't have it yet), and do FPV.
I want to get the FatShark FPV, and overlay text like the battery voltage, GPS, etc... and also, attach my GoPro3 camera to it, have it record in HD, and at the same time get the composite video, and have it PIP with the FatShark FPV camera.
This way, when I do the FPV, I can have them point in different directions, and have a better idea what is around the quadcopter.

That was the long story, but in short: I want to get the composite video signal, convert to RGB, and then display it as a smaller picture in another video signal.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Does the composite video carry color information? If so do you need the color? If you don't need color it greatly simplifies the conversion to RGB (basically you just put the same signal into the three RGB inputs).

CVMichael

Joined Aug 3, 2007
Yes, the composite video is color, all cameras are color... for PIP, I don't need color, it could be B&W... but converting from color to B&W does not seem that easy when looking at how the color signal looks like...

The schematic that Dodgydave posted is what I need, but it seems very hard to build for me, because of so many external components required around the TDA3330 chip... expecially the inductors. Also I need several of these converters for every camera that I want to add as a picture in picture...

I was hoping to find a chip that does that with minimal external components.

I need to do this as small as possible...

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Yes, the composite video is color, all cameras are color... for PIP, I don't need color, it could be B&W... but converting from color to B&W does not seem that easy when looking at how the color signal looks like...

The color info is just riding on the composite signal as modulation of a 3.58MHz sub-carrier (for an NTSC signal). You can use an LP filter of around 2.5-3.0 MHz to remove that component. The remaining signal is then basically a black & white RGB signal (equal signal on all three channels for VGA type signal or the Y signal for Component).