Convert 120VAC Motor to 12V DC

longfisher

Joined May 23, 2009
Built a manual chumming system:
(http://www.sportfishermen.com/board/f29/transom-mounted-chum-churn-111406.html) and a buddy suggested inserting a garbage disposal (GD) into the in-feed chute to make the job of creating the chum even simpler.

Hmmm...

OK, all the GD's I could find are 120 VAC. Boat uses 12V DC. Can a 120VAC motor be "re-wired" to operate off 12V DC?

I know, using an inverter from the 12V DC batteries to 120VAC would be the conventional way to do this. But I read posts in another forum that said someone was successful in re-wiring a 120VAC GD motor to run off 12V DC. That would be even simpler.

Thanks for any input anyone's willing to provide.

LongFisher

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
Never had a garbage disposal, so... Anyway, just because stuff plugs into the wall, doesn't necessarily mean that the guts are all running off 110VAC. Since electricity and water don't mix well, could be a lower voltage motor, even DC. Re-wiring an AC motor, won't say it can't be done, but it would likely be better to find a 12 vdc that fits the task. They are built differently, but there are motors that run off both AC and DC.

Wonder if you could use one of those chipper/mulch machines for tree limbs and yard crap. Gas powered, little noisy, but darned if you could stuff most anything in there.

Last edited by a moderator: