Conversion of Single phase AC generator to self start

sohaib.rafique

Joined Apr 13, 2011
Hello!

I am new to this forum and i have a querry.

I have a single phase AC generator rated 1KVA. this is not self starting it is operated by pulling the rope or you can say kick start.
I have 2 issues
1. I want to convert this into self starting, means generator should start either by a button or ignition key.
2. I want my generator to start automatically when the supply from the utility is broken.

can anyone help me by providing the schematic diagram or provide me link to any such website or attach any document for my guidance. I want the solution with expolanation. I am a fresh Electrical Engineer.

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
Your AC generator requires some form of mechanical power to start.

If you want it to start automatically by pushing a button, ask yourself where do that mechanical power come from? If you said battery, then use an automobile starter.

Your second question is easy too. An AC voltage relay connected to the mains, with a few seconds delay on opening will trigger the above starter to start up the generator.

You real problem comes when the power from the utility returns and you have to transfer the load back to the utility.

thakid87

Joined May 23, 2009
Do you want it to just turn on automatically? Or do you want it to turn on automatically and pick up the load?

If the latter, I highly suggest getting an automatic transfer switch.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
His real problem actually lies in the gen set starter motor.
What he needs is a 12/24V Starting motor and the gear mechanism needed to turn the flywheel in order to get the generator running. Without these, it is impossible to start a genset.

I like to know whether OP has these already in the genset, if yes, then the rest is quite easy.
but still OP needs to show the load ratings and pictures

sohaib.rafique

Joined Apr 13, 2011
Your AC generator requires some form of mechanical power to start.

If you want it to start automatically by pushing a button, ask yourself where do that mechanical power come from? If you said battery, then use an automobile starter.

Your second question is easy too. An AC voltage relay connected to the mains, with a few seconds delay on opening will trigger the above starter to start up the generator.

You real problem comes when the power from the utility returns and you have to transfer the load back to the utility.
Thanks alot for the advice.

can you please guide me further about the ratings??

let us first complete our initial task i.e; let us convert our manual 1phase (1KVA) generator into self start.

for this I have gathered few shematics.

i have the schematic of the starter motor. now what I need is the rating of the starter motor and the coupling mechanism to be used to couple it with the generator.

can you plz help me out.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
First u got to find a coupling, it is not something u can make.

Find one to suite ur genset capacity. It must be compatible to ur starting motor too.

The torque generated by the starter must be strong enuf to rotate the fly wheel to a suitable rpm

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
How do you plan to provide isolation between your generator and the mains? A transfer switch is usually required unless co-generation is being used, then registration with the power company is required. It is a big safety issue to prevent a repairman from being electrocuted by your generator!