Controlling H bridge with Adafruit Motor Sheild v1 with arduino.

Mpowley66

Joined Jan 7, 2016
Hi all, first time posting on your forum and I have a few simple questions.
I have an arduino with an adafruit v1 motor sheild. The shield can handle a draw of 0.6 Amps per channel. 0.6 A is not very much power so can I use the output of the shield to control a second more powerful H Bridge? I am at school right now but once I get home I can get the data sheet for the shield and the H bridges as well. Secondly, the too of the H Bridge has some metal with a hole through it. Can I simply screw these down to a block of aluminum to act as a heat sink? Sorry for the horrible spelling, my phone won't let me correct what I have previously spelled.

Mpowley66

Joined Jan 7, 2016
Alright as soon as I can I will draw out what I intend to do and make a scan of it so that you guys can share your advice.

Mpowley66

Joined Jan 7, 2016
So I have made a quick drawing, connecting the two outputs of the sheild to the inputs of the h bridge. Also I have drawn the battery connected to the ground and the Vs wire. The arduino shield will be powered by a seperately small battery. Do I need to connect the ground on the sheild to the ground tab on the H bridge? If I want to just tinker to figure this out is there anything I need to avoid to avoid damaging the bridge or sheild?

Attachments