Controlling DC motor with RF remote control kit

telerian

Joined Jul 19, 2010
I know that controlling DC motor direction and speed has been discussed a lot on the forum. I am trying to make a parking bollard (http://www.ultrasecuredirect.com/ac...ity_Remote_Control_Operated_Parking_Post.html) with a DC motor that I took out of a satellite dish actuator. The motor is 36 V, 10 W, 1 A. I am powering it from 12V supply. I need to turn the motor only 90 degrees (to lower the bollard) and return it back 90 degrees (to raise the bollard). I want to control the lowering and raising using one of the ready made RF control units which have 4 relays, each controlled by a by a button on the remote (the idea is to use one button/relay to lower and one to raise) I am going to use limit switches to stop the motor at both ends. My question is can the circuit in this link (http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?p=261613#post261613) be adapted in any way to do this without having to put the additional relays ?

telerian

Joined Jul 19, 2010
telerain

what you can use is a steeper motor (try to read more about it) and use H-bridge to control it.

lihle
I know about stepper motors but they are not cheap here and besides I already have this motor at hand and I want to use it

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Will this motor operate at 12V? If so, will it have enough torque? You may need to used some sort of voltage step up cct.

In answer to your question I can't see any reason why you couldn't use this cct. You shouldn't need any more relays. It should work fine.

telerian

Joined Jul 19, 2010
Will this motor operate at 12V? If so, will it have enough torque? You may need to used some sort of voltage step up cct.

In answer to your question I can't see any reason why you couldn't use this cct. You shouldn't need any more relays. It should work fine.
I have tested the motor on a 12V supply and it works fine and I don't need much torque as it only rotates a very light metal rod, my question was is there a way not to use the relays in this cct and use the relays that are on the remote controller unit (each button on the remote has a relay corresponding to it and I was thinking to use one button to open and the other to close)