Controlling an LCD with RS422

gsgrove

Joined May 16, 2011
So I apologize if this is not in detail enough, but I am a Mechanical Engineer forced to work on a hardware engineering portion of this project.

I am using IMS Mdrive Plus 23 Motors in a simple machine I created using two of these motors in Party Mode. The motors use a RS422 output to communicate where one is the master and one is the slave. I use a IMS MD-CC400-000 USB to RS422 converter cable to download the programs onto the respective motors, then I remove the converter cable and use a jumper to connect the two motors to allow them to communicate without using the terminal or an external source. They respond to the various inputs and switches I have connected, the only thing that I want to add is an LCD that tells the user what the machine is doing.

My hope was that using the basic Print command of the motors, I could have the LCD echo that line of print just like the program prints to the terminal when a single motor is running a program connected to the computer via the USB to RS422 cable.

I have a serial LCD, Electronic Assembly SER161-ENLWK, which connects to the computer via the serial port RS232. My questions is, is there an easy way to interface the LCD (RS232) to the Motors (RS422) while still keeping the two motors connected so they can speak back and forth to allow the machine to execute? All I need is for the LCD to display a print command on the LCD screen as the machine is executing, there is no need for interaction with the user, just a simple notification would be perfect.

I apologize for being so in the dark on this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gsgrove

Joined May 16, 2011
Cdrive. Thanks for the link. I have seen these but most have had the female connectors where this one has the male. I am not sure it is going to work because of size restrictions but I might check it out just for testing purposes.

If anyone else has another option, verification that a converter like cdrive linked to will work, or knows of a direct RS422 LCD controller instead of the RS232 like I have, it would be much appreciated.