Controller for a Halbach DC 24-48V Motor

MelMartinez

Joined Nov 28, 2011
this is the part I still don't understand; 4 magnet poles, 3 electromagnetic coils.

...are you able to explain it if it is your own idea? or post link to where you got the idea?
After years of reading and working with electric motors, what I understand is that in the Halbach Array motors are very complex dynamics... starting with the magnets array.

I do not have it all clear yet, but that is one of the reasons I'm making my own prototype; this way I'll personally see in my shop what is going on with this motor.

This is the link where you can find several model Halbach Array style motors. This link also have dozens of links. Lots of reading and learning here:

http://www.aerodesign.de/peter/2001/LRK350/index_eng.html

Kind regards.

MelMartinez

Joined Nov 28, 2011
Mel, from what I've read the magnets must be the equal size and shape, both in the segment size and shape plus the magnetic strength.

And they need to be physically touching, no gaps between them.

Where did you get your magnets?

I'm a retired tool maker/ machinist and have tried to machine magnets and there not easy.
About the magnets size and shape, they can vary. Remember that in the Halbach Array the most important thing is polarity.

The magnets do not need to be physically touching to create a Halbach Array, but if they touch each other, the magnets create much stronger magnetic field, thus more power.

I realize I have gaps in my prototype, but I have created a Halbach Array field for the coils. This is just a prototype and I'm planning to improve it in the future.

The magnets are low cost low effective made in Mexico. I have hundreds of them in different sizes.

I have ordered an special 14" grinder disk from Germany to try to cut those magnets to the size and shape I need. I hope this grinder disk works.

I'm a tool maker/machinist myself, among other interesting things, and I'm very glad to share this project with a fellow machinist.

Please see some pictures of the restoration of my South Bend S/N 47150 lathe, made in 1930, gap bed silent chain model here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/117892529553203792785/SouthBend47150#

I hope you enjoy the pictures and please feel free to make any comments.

Kind regards.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
About the magnets size and shape, they can vary. Remember that in the Halbach Array the most important thing is polarity.

Please see some pictures of the restoration of my South Bend S/N 47150 lathe, made in 1930, gap bed silent chain model here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/117892529553203792785/SouthBend47150#

I hope you enjoy the pictures and please feel free to make any comments.

Kind regards.
strantor jealous. I can tell you are proud of that lathe. I would be too if I had it.

MelMartinez

Joined Nov 28, 2011
Please don't be jealous, strantor; You're very welcome to come to Mexico and turn it all day long if you want.

As a machinist, I'm sure you know it is more important the operator than the machine.

I have seen well trained machinist making wonderful things in simple machines; while others do nothing good in a new SB or a Monarch lathe.

You know what I'm talking about; what really matters is between our ears.

Cheers !!!