Controll VGA with encoder.

Rosi

Joined Dec 14, 2009
Greetings all.

This is my first post in the forum and I do not know even if I have posted in the correct place.

I start doing a small project with a FPGA and VHDL I searched around found couple of solutions but I am not happy about them.

So here I am asking the question to experts :)

I have to make the pong game. Old classic one. I was asked to make the side bars move up and down (two of them) using encoders.

So I need to create the bars first and then to control them with encoders.

Until now my solution was that I create a circlet the two encoders they are connected to the pins 18-17 and 16-15 of a FPGA. I used the input of them as feedback but it didn't really work. I had to format my computer either case so I said that I can start a new with better solution.

If you know any good tutorial or link or book something that can help me out, please advance :)

Thank you

Rosi

Joined Dec 14, 2009
Thanks for your answer.

Well it was kinda weird way to start the project. It is a Univ project so hardware is not an issue. I asked the professor and he gave me encoders. rotary encoders 265-1723. I was kinda happy to see that I asked for the correct ones (even before reading your answer).

I even manage to put some code in the VHDL. I can share if you want to and try to improve it.

I still have some troubles to figure out how to insert the value from the encoder in a registry.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Use it as a count that translates to absolute position. Use the quadrature outputs to determine if the count goes up or down.

Rosi

Joined Dec 14, 2009
Hello again :)

Once again, first do it and then read your answer :)

But either case it is working so I am happy. I will keep asking question if I come up with something that I can not figure out (which would most likely mean that I simple need to spend a bit more time on it)

In any case thanks for your feedback so far :)

Rosi