Control for three fluorescent lights.

leo1

Joined Apr 11, 2014
I would appreciate design control input and recommendation for control relays, switches and/or push-buttons the following control of four separately located fluorescent (100W maximum) lights.

I would like the activation of one or two motion detectors to automatically control four individual fluorescent fixtures (each separately located) that are also manually controlled by four separately located single pole (or could be momentary push-button) switches. In addition, I would like to have a single override manual switch (on-off toggle or push-button switch) that can turn on and off the four lights, and totally bypass the individual four single pole switches and the two motion detectors. When the override manual switch is turned on I would like all four lights to turn on and when turned off I like all four lights to turn off and revert back to the individual manual control of their respective single pole switches and the automatic control of the motion detectors.

Upstream of the all the controls features mentioned above I would like a day-night photo-cell to ensure no lights work during daylight hours. I would also like the override manual switch to have a time out feature with an adjustable time from 1 to 60 minutes. If the override switch is forgotten about the lights will not remain on longer than 60 minutes. Each of the two motion detectors will be focused on their own area. But if motion is detected by either one or both detectors all lights turn on and all go off after motion is no longer detected for a period of 5 minutes.

burger2227

Joined Feb 3, 2014
Leviton makes motion sensing switches for permanent replacement of existing wall switches. Some versions can be wired as three way.

I found that the more expensive ODS10 works much better than the cheaper PR180. Each unit can control so much power, but you cannot have all of them come on from separate boxes unless you use some fancy AC relay wiring.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
I would use X10 switches/motion detector http://www.x10.com/
You can configure the X10 switches to be bypassed/turned on with the motion detector(s). You can address them for individual or collective activation.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
If you run modern electronic ballasts with fast start they will turn on and off fast enough.

But the electronic ballasts don't last like the old inductive ones.