Control algorithms for drones

beatsal

Joined Jan 21, 2018
Trying to understand the math behind drone control. There seems to be a lot of matrix algebra, matlab and python programming involved if one wants to develop control algoritms. Looking for ideas on how to embark on this field.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
First study the aerodynamics of fixed wing flight. Leann how the forces and moments are coupled in the 3-dimensional environment. Learn how aileron deflection creates a yawing moment. Leann about phugoid oscillations. Learn how a coordinated turn requires both aileron and rudder.

Once you make it that far it is time to learn rotary wing dynamics and how those forces and moments are coupled. Once you understand the physics, the math will follow.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
Thanks. Will try them. Is there a forum that users can share ideas on this?
Not that I'm aware of. I did start a thread here to discuss some of the things that tripped me up in the first book, but it wasn't as well received as I would have liked (nobody else went through the book with me), although the help was good. I'd welcome your questions. I've largely taught myself these topics, and welcome collaborative questions to keep myself up-to-date and to revisit topics I don't encounter on a daily basis.

beatsal

Joined Jan 21, 2018
I had done an EDX course "Autonomous navigation for flying Robots" and am trying to understand the course. It is quite good.