Control AC device with a DC circuit

ke5nnt

Joined Mar 1, 2009
A friend has asked me to look into making a device for him that will control the on/off cycle of an engine block heater based on outside temperature.

Essentially the heater is a 1KW heater, in an effort to save energy running it all the time, he wanted something that would switch it on and off at intervals that vary for certain temperature ranges.

So, my question would be, can I do something like, connect a relay to the A/C heater and control the on/off cycle of the relay with a DC device controlled by a PIC?

I'm not sure how relays compare to things like BJTs and MOSFETs when it comes to using them as switches. Something simple like switching on/off a LED using a MCU and a BJT is probably different than using a MCU and a relay to switch on/off a 120V AC device...

If what I read about relays is right, then basically a 12V (or so) DC circuit controlled by the MCU would energize an electromagnet and complete a separate circuit that would basically close the connection between the 120V AC main and the heater? If that's true, then the DC circuit and AC circuit are isolated from each other?

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Check out Solid State Relays (SSRs) at Mouser, Digikey , surplus dealers and even EBay.
I can post a thermistor/opamp circuit that will switch an SSR on/off

ke5nnt

Joined Mar 1, 2009
Yeah I was looking at SSRs on mouser, had no idea those things were so pricey. $30 for one capable of 15A...wow.

If you want to post your circuit, I'd love to see it. Always nice to see how other people do things.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Look up air conditioner CRANKCASE heater controls. You can use a OTS thermostat for your control using time or temp or both. They heat the oil in the bottom of a A/C compressor for a set time before firing up the compressor.

For your relays, I would recommend HVAC relays or contactors. They are build for vibration, and temperature extremes.

[ed]
here are some for around $10
http://www.azpartsmaster.com/departments/hvac/hvac-repair-parts.aspx
[/ed]