Constant Power to Momentary Contact, then OFF the Power activates different Momentary Contact

SmartThing

Joined Mar 4, 2015
Hi,
I have a switched 110v outlet. I would like for when the outlet is ON, a button is pressed and released (a circuit momentarily closed). I would also like when the outlet is OFF, a different button is momentarily pressed.

I have lights in kitchen that turn on by RF remote, with ON and OFF buttons separate. I would like to have them controlled by a single 110v outlet ( I have automation control over the outlet, and its somewhat important that the lights be on while the outlet is on, and off whens its off so that my system knows the lights' state.)

Any help is appreciated!

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I am not sure what you are asking? Also, you do not mention how your current system is setup, manufacturer, link to any data sheets on current system?

Hi,
I have a switched 110v outlet. I would like for when the outlet is ON, a button is pressed and released (a circuit momentarily closed). I would also like when the outlet is OFF, a different button is momentarily pressed.

I have lights in kitchen that turn on by RF remote, with ON and OFF buttons separate. I would like to have them controlled by a single 110v outlet ( I have automation control over the outlet, and its somewhat important that the lights be on while the outlet is on, and off whens its off so that my system knows the lights' state.)

Any help is appreciated!
You also don't mention a location or the type of existing wiring that is used? You really need to better explain exactly what your goal is and what you have already doing what?

Ron

SmartThing

Joined Mar 4, 2015
I am not sure what you are asking? Also, you do not mention how your current system is setup, manufacturer, link to any data sheets on current system?

You also don't mention a location or the type of existing wiring that is used? You really need to better explain exactly what your goal is and what you have already doing what?

Ron
Hi, to clarify, I want to build a device, that when powered, it closes momentarily a contact...and when that power is removed, a different contact momentarily closes.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
How is the device powered ?
Mains Direct or through a Transformer.

Mains Direct.....Sorry cannot do much abt tht.
If using a Tx then specify the Tx you have or will be using.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
What interface do you presently have between the RF remote receiver and the lighting system? Relay, solid-state switch, ....? Can you post a link to the RF remote devices?
How will these contacts be connected to the lights or RF remote devices?
What is the duration of the momentary contact?
Are the lights mains-voltage?

SmartThing

Joined Mar 4, 2015
How is the device powered ?
Mains Direct or through a Transformer.

Mains Direct.....Sorry cannot do much abt tht.
If using a Tx then specify the Tx you have or will be using.
The "device" would be powered however it needs to be powered! I do not see a way with AC, so a transformer will likely be used, whatever tx that is needed.

SmartThing

Joined Mar 4, 2015
What interface do you presently have between the RF remote receiver and the lighting system? Relay, solid-state switch, ....? Can you post a link to the RF remote devices?
How will these contacts be connected to the lights or RF remote devices?
The info on the RF receiver is somewhat irrelevant, as I am wanting a device to simply momentarily close contacts...however FYI, I plan to use any of the hundreds of RF switched outlets (ex. etekcity or the stuff they seel around Christmas time for under 20$). Remote pressed on, and the relay in the receiver flips on 110v... again, this portion of the project is beyond the "device" I would need... just want device to press& release ON (close and open and contact) when there's power to it, and same for OFF when the power is removed...
It really gets me thinking, seems simple at first, but I cant crack it... might need a constant power source separate from the ON or OFF one?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I am wanting a device to simply momentarily close contacts
just want device to press& release ON (close and open and contact) when there's power to it, and same for OFF when the power is removed..
Which is it? Do you mean physically press a button? If so, an RC servo could be used. If not, a relay would do what you want.
How will the contact be connected to the lights or RF remote devices?

SmartThing

Joined Mar 4, 2015
Which is it? Do you mean physically press a button? If so, an RC servo could be used. If not, a relay would do what you want.
How will the contact be connected to the lights or RF remote devices?
I want a relay to momentarily close and open a wire (NOT physically press a button)

The the relay will not be connected to the lights , only wired to the button on the remote (the ON button, and the OFF button) (the button works normally by closing contact when you press, and opening contact when released)

The duration is somewhere around .5 sec...

The lights are 110v, however, the lights are not part of this equation at all.

I simply want a device which will 'close then open' contact #1 when I power device, and 'close then open' contact #2 when power is removed from said device. Contacts #1 and #2 are very minimal amperage and voltage, like the buttons on your tv remote.

SmartThing

Joined Mar 4, 2015
I have a feeling that in this case of my project, I gave too much info and its throwing everyone off...

I will describe a device, which, if it can be made, I can make use of it.

I want to make a device which, when plugged in to a regular wall outlet, a Red bulb lights for a half second....THEN when I unplug the device, a Blue bulb lights for a half second. That's it!

The half second is only approximate, the device can have a transformer if needed, and the bulbs are whatever you find easiest to solve the problem...

Good luck!

Marcus2012

Joined Feb 22, 2015
Quite, simple.
Are you familiar with 555 timers or do you prefer a μC ?

Yeah I was thinking monostable 555s for this but where could you get DC supply from? Switch mode PS maybe, nice and small? Would this device be part of the wall outlet or part of what you're plugging into it?

SmartThing

Joined Mar 4, 2015
Quite, simple.
Are you familiar with 555 timers or do you prefer a μC ?
I was looking at the 555's on ebay initially, but started looking into 'constant to momentary' set ups ... perhaps the 555 would be easiest...however its hard to decipher the ability of the delay off timers from the ebay listings sometimes...could you link me to an ideal pair of these anywhere?

SmartThing

Joined Mar 4, 2015
Yeah I was thinking monostable 555s for this but where could you get DC supply from? Switch mode PS maybe, nice and small? Would this device be part of the wall outlet or part of what you're plugging into it?
I t would be part of what im plugging into it... DC power could be from a separate , constant on, ps? and a relay could be deciding which of the two 555 timers would be used? (one when I plug into outlet, one when unplugged?

Marcus2012

Joined Feb 22, 2015
I t would be part of what im plugging into it... DC power could be from a separate , constant on, ps? and a relay could be deciding which of the two 555 timers would be used? (one when I plug into outlet, one when unplugged?
What is this device that you are plugging in? If it uses DC from a rectified AC source then you may have excess supply from this you can use to power the indicator circuit. If its uses solid AC like a vacuum or something then it would be more difficult and a separate rectified circuit would be required.

Marcus2012

Joined Feb 22, 2015
I was looking at the 555's on ebay initially, but started looking into 'constant to momentary' set ups ... perhaps the 555 would be easiest...however its hard to decipher the ability of the delay off timers from the ebay listings sometimes...could you link me to an ideal pair of these anywhere?

You want monostable setup, often called "one shot".

Here is a good idealised circuit
THE 555 MONOSTABLE CIRCUIT IN DETAIL

But also check out 555 Timer IC on Wiki. Explains the whole IC well.

EDIT In fact Bill (mod) has done a wonderful explanation of the monostable here (one exception here though, this is a true one-shot)
The Monostable 555

Last edited:

SmartThing

Joined Mar 4, 2015
What is this device that you are plugging in? If it uses DC from a rectified AC source then you may have excess supply from this you can use to power the indicator circuit. If its uses solid AC like a vacuum or something then it would be more difficult and a separate rectified circuit would be required.
the device im plugging in has not been created yet, so its whatever we all come up with. I am plugging into a regular 60hz 110v ac wall outlet...

SmartThing

Joined Mar 4, 2015
You want monostable setup, often called "one shot".

Here is a good idealised circuit
THE 555 MONOSTABLE CIRCUIT IN DETAIL

But also check out 555 Timer IC on Wiki. Explains the whole IC well.

EDIT In fact Bill (mod) has done a wonderful explanation of the monostable here (one exception here though, this is a true one-shot)
The Monostable 555
Excellent, this is what im thinking is best now. Two of these, one for each aspect, if you have time, please send a link to amazon or ebay, or any store really...