Constant AC current source

aq_blues

Joined Jul 20, 2011
Hi All,

I am tasked to design an AC constant current source working at 400Hz and can deliver a current upto 200mA to a transformer. The transformer is a step down (voltage) transformer which converts the current to 1A. Power Supply remains at +/-15V and load ranges from 0-2 Ohm (on the secondary side of the transformer)

I am simulating the circuit and simulation results look good. But before I build this, would like to know if having transformer as a load would place any issues with the design ?

Also all these discussions on AC current sources never talk on bandwidth. Is bandwidth not an issue at lower frequency ? Does the circuit respond to it really quickly ?

What about current regulation for varying load conditions ? Like how would the circuit respond to a 50% load regulation ?

Thanks for reading the post this far and a reply would be so appreciated :)

AQ

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
What will your voltage requirements be on the primary side. Have you any idea of this. From a quick estimate I got around 75 volt amplitude value at least. Not taking any loss at all into the estimation.

aq_blues

Joined Jul 20, 2011
Thanks t06afre for the reply.

If 2 Ohm * 1 A = 2V is on the secondary, then primary would be 10V. (A step down transformer of ratio 5 is expected here. It would step current from 200mA to 1A).

But apart from the signal levels expected at either side, would you be able to suggest any topology which I can use here. I tried the improved howland current pump, but the load regulation is not so good (current changes a little with changes in load resistances).

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
A transformer or any power source with low internal resistance will provide voltage. A step-down transformer with a 5:1 turns ratio will transform 10VAC to 2VAC. The current drawn will depend on the load attached.

To create a constant current source you need a supply with high internal resistance. This can be implemented with an active circuit.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Ok so you want to take 10 volt 0.2 ampere AC and step down to 2 volt 1 ampere AC. You wrote,So it looked like you wanted a +/- 15 volt on the secondary side
The transformer is a step down (voltage) transformer which converts the current to 1A. Power Supply remains at +/-15V and load ranges from 0-2 Ohm (on the secondary side of the transformer)
But now the whole thing make more sense. I see some issues here. First if the transformer is made for 50 to 60 Hz. It may(will) be less ideal at 400Hz. Another thing is that the transformer models in most ECAD system. Are often very idealized. So transforming your results here to the real world. Must be done with care. As a driver I would have used some audio amplifier. They are ideal for this purpose.

aq_blues

Joined Jul 20, 2011
Thanks MrChips for the reply.

In order to do what you suggest, you would require very high voltage levels. Also your load regulation would not be very good (the current would change with changing load resistance, but maybe by a small amount).

What I require is a true current source. A way to do it is based on voltage feedback. You adjust your output voltage based on a feedback signal. This essentially makes it a current source. An example of such approach is the Howland pump.

With all that said, still I simulated howland pump and the results are still not upto the specs.

Any more suggestions are warmly welcomed here :)

aq_blues

Joined Jul 20, 2011
Thanks t06afre for the reply again.

I can get the required transformers for 400Hz. Also Ecad may not be able to simulate the parasitic inductances/capacitance. But apart from that, I want to see the concept working with ideal sources first. Once that's done, I would see if i can factor in the parasitic elements as discreet elements and then monitor the effects.

But again, first thing first, which topology offers me the best load regulation and lowest THD ??

aq_blues

Joined Jul 20, 2011
Even if I just use a resistive load (and not to use secondary), the difference in current is quite visible.
Attached pictures for reference.

Where R3 is considered as the load resistance

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
I think your op amp is saturating in the first example. 295uA RMS through 44.8k is over 18V peak. What are your op amp's supply voltages?

aq_blues

Joined Jul 20, 2011
Thanks for the reply Ron H,
Indeed you were right and there was saturation on the output. I increased the sense resistance and circuit is altogether better. Although it's not regulating to 100% accuracy, but the improvement is worthwhile.
I am reading more on improved Howland design and I can feel that 100% accuracy may not be achieved with this topology.
So I am again in a quest now to see if I can use transistor with an opamp and voltage as a feedback mechanism to do better regulation.
Would keep the forum posted on progress (if any :) )
Analog electronics is a tough game. Thanks to simulators, I would have lost it otherwise :)