Considering project: vibrating motor activated by pressure sensor

Sutitan

Joined Nov 12, 2009
Idea: having a mechanoelectrical pressure sensor, that when fully pressed, would activate a tiny vibrating motor for a fraction of a second.

Inspiration: My grandfather recently lost all the feeling on the bottom of his feet. this makes walking kind of difficult since its hard for him to tell when he has actually stepped. he is in generally good health (used to run five miles a week prior to), and still walks. I discussed possibly trying to make something to help him with walking.

Application: I planned on installing the sensor(s) in the sole of his shoe. when he steps, pressure would be applied, and a little vibration would give him some tactile feedback.

Challanges: I have no clue about how to really approach this problem. all ive really managed to do is possibly track down parts that could be used. id also need a way to make sure that it just gives a fraction of a second of vibration, as apposed to it staying on while he is stepping. I also need a way to make sure that the vibration only occurs once per footstep. so possibly like a switch the closes when the pressure is fully applied, but as soon as the pressure is gone, the switch opens. just thinking outloud...

Parts ive looked:

Piezoelectric Film Sensors
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/81206.pdf

Vibrating motors
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/DCM-320/TINY-VIBRATING-MOTOR/1.html

If anyone could possibly provide any help (maybe even a reality check for someone inexperience with electronics) it would be pretty helpful.

thanks ahead of time

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
You could use the conductive foam that CPUs and IC's come in, it shows less resistance when it is squeezed.

Run a battery through that and a comparator (or just a transistor) to turn on the motor when the resistance is low enough. The foam won't carry enough current to run the motor itself.

Not sure about how to limit the length of the pulse to the motor without getting a bit more complex.

How about those little vibrators they use when you are waiting for a table in a restaurant? Ask the manager if they have some that quit working...maybe he will give you one and then you can open it up and see whats inside? Let us know, ok?

Success will be yours, DPW

Sutitan

Joined Nov 12, 2009
You could use the conductive foam that CPUs and IC's come in, it shows less resistance when it is squeezed.
Thats actually pretty interesting. could work. id just be worried about the degradation on the foam over time. depending where i place the sensor, im afraid that possible moisture or the pressure would mess up the foam, but I guess that applies to the whole project

Run a battery through that and a comparator (or just a transistor) to turn on the motor when the resistance is low enough. The foam won't carry enough current to run the motor itself.
that sounds like it would work pretty well with the sensor if understand transistors properly. i could basically use the current from the sensor to switch a bigger current coming from a battery.

Not sure about how to limit the length of the pulse to the motor without getting a bit more complex.
Im all ears :)

How about those little vibrators they use when you are waiting for a table in a restaurant?
ill try ask every time i go out to eat now. who knows, there might be some just collecting dust in a restaurant. as far as how they function, I think they are microprocessor controller. they just have a reciever, and when a signal is received, it goes nuts.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Just tried a small strip of conductive foam between two copprr coins, with moderate pressure pulses, resistance between 200k & 30k. Lonjivity ??

yfx4

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The little vibrating motors I have run on 1.5 volts and are from pagers. I bought them for $0.99 at the electronics store. Some folks use them in little robots. Perhaps you could attach it to a velcro strap and wrap it around his leg with the wires running up from the shoes.

Good luck and my best to you and your grandfather.