consequences of using pirated software in the US and ...?

PG1995

Joined Apr 15, 2011
Hi

I know some guys who use pirated programs. I know someone who uses a pirated copy of Win XP. Actually I wanted to know what happens if you use such illegal programs which you haven't paid for in the US and some other countries? Do the police catch you? Any other problems? Please let me know if possible. Thanks.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

It is NEVER good to use illegal software.
The software may be corrupted and infected.
Also the security updating will not work.
We DISCUORAGE the use of illegal software.

I use some linux flavor, called OpenSUSE:
http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org

It has a lot of free software and some extra respositories for extra software like packman for multimedia softwares.
For an overview of the linux flavors take a look at the distrowatch:
http://distrowatch.com/
There is also an overview of "live" linux distributions, that will run without installing:
http://www.livecdlist.com/

Bertus

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Yes, they have special software in the kernel that is capable of wirelessly broadcasting whether or not you have a proper license. They then use trucks that prowl the neighborhoods with hidden antennas (they put "UPS" and "Fed Ex" on the side of the trucks to hide them) and discover the computers that are being used illegally. The violations show up as blinking lights on a special map that Microsoft runs in conjunction with the Treasury Department and the Christian Dior counter at Macy's.

They've instituted a fiendish (and probably illegal) punishment for those people that are caught (some places call this "catch and release"). After a stint in a violent federal prison (to get an idea of what happens to you, see what happens to the guy in the cow suit in Top Secret and figure out why he walks funny), you're released on your own recognizance (because you didn't have any cognizance in the first place) and you're forced to use either Windows Vista or Windows 7. It's well-known that this violates the Geneva Conventions, but organizations like the ACLU have been penetrated and rendered apathetic. Most offenders would rather go back to prison as a bovine than continue this at-home punishment.

PG1995

Joined Apr 15, 2011
Thank you for the information. As per the someonesdad's information Microsoft guys are such a scare! But what other other programs apart from the operating systems such Windows and Mac?

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
pirated software typically requires a 'crack' to overcome licensing. In running a 'crack', you are giving the author permission to enter your computer for whatever they so desire. The other aspect is that most pirated software is not the most current. This results in unpatched bugs who's exploits become more common. You can be assured that a virus is attempting to penetrate your system several times a day.

I do believe that copyright laws forbid you from copying and distributing. However, when you 'accept' the softwares terms of use, you are entering into a legal contract with them, which may expose you to legal action. Is there language in the agreement that allows the authors to authenticate your version?

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I had forgotten that aspect of it. A depressing number of cracks have other software that comes with it (think viruses).

count_volta

Joined Feb 4, 2009
Yes, they have special software in the kernel that is capable of wirelessly broadcasting whether or not you have a proper license. They then use trucks that prowl the neighborhoods with hidden antennas (they put "UPS" and "Fed Ex" on the side of the trucks to hide them) and discover the computers that are being used illegally. The violations show up as blinking lights on a special map that Microsoft runs in conjunction with the Treasury Department and the Christian Dior counter at Macy's.

They've instituted a fiendish (and probably illegal) punishment for those people that are caught (some places call this "catch and release"). After a stint in a violent federal prison (to get an idea of what happens to you, see what happens to the guy in the cow suit in Top Secret and figure out why he walks funny), you're released on your own recognizance (because you didn't have any cognizance in the first place) and you're forced to use either Windows Vista or Windows 7. It's well-known that this violates the Geneva Conventions, but organizations like the ACLU have been penetrated and rendered apathetic. Most offenders would rather go back to prison as a bovine than continue this at-home punishment.
You are being paranoid Mulder. Yet again..... :D

-Scully

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009

Didn't they also brain wash cats? So the cats could infiltrate the pirates home. And I think the cats had laser eyes....:eek:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Do not ask here for cracks or keys, as it can result in banning.
They fall under the copyright material heading in the TOS:

3. Copyrighted material. When referencing copyrighted material, please provide the relevant credit. In some cases, an intellectual property owner may require they give you permission before you can reprint or reuse their work. In most cases, a link to the original source is acceptable, if applicable.

Please do not make requests for, or post links to, material that otherwise contravenes the conditions of the original or subsequent author's copyright. All instances of such requests will be met firstly with a warning, and secondly with a ban. If you are in doubt raise the issue with a Moderator or Administrator.
Bertus

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Yes, they have special software in the kernel that is capable of wirelessly broadcasting whether or not you have a proper license. They then use trucks that prowl the neighborhoods with hidden antennas (they put "UPS" and "Fed Ex" on the side of the trucks to hide them) and discover the computers that are being used illegally.
LOOOOOOL, very funny. If this was "also" true for other countries, the whole neighborhood where I used to live would have been imprisoned.

PG1995

Joined Apr 15, 2011
Hello,

Do not ask here for cracks or keys, as it can result in banning.
They fall under the copyright material heading in the TOS:

Bertus
Hi Bertus

Who is asking for a crack or key, even indirectly? Would you please let me know? Thanks.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Is there language in the agreement that allows the authors to authenticate your version?
I think since at least WIN 2k, when the authors of the software can check if the end user is using an authorized version.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
A long time ago, when I had never been "online", some guy phoned me and told me he was authorized to offer me amnesty if I would pay him for licenses for my software. I told him that much like Bill Gates, I never sold my phone number, only leased it, and he had not paid me to lease my phone number. I thought it was funny but I also wondered how many suckers had sent him money.

I never figured out how he got my phone number or why he thought I had a computer. Beware of scams like this.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
In the old days MS didn't seem too bothered. Presumably they preferred people using it for free to using the alternatives. A lot of games had better protection.
Nowadays they make it harder so their policies must have changed. I've been using Linux for a while now even though I've got a legit Vista licence.