connection question

corrie

Joined Jul 14, 2011
Being new at this I have found wire connections in several different units that makes me wonder the reason, wheather to save the price of a plug or drop of solder or something else. On the pins on the back of switchs they wrap the wire on the pins. As the switch mounts from front of panel and there are no connectors on wires there is no option but to unwrap the wire from pins. I am sure this is old hat to you guys but is there a reason for this? Can they just be soldered back? Thanks.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Wire wrap was used quite a bit in late 70's to the 90's, but it's disappearing nowadays because it's labor-intensive. It can be handy for making 1-off prototype circuits, as if mistakes were made, you can simply unwrap the wire using a wire wrap tool, and wrap it to wherever you need the connection.

Wire wrap is a way to make a good electrical connection without needing solder, that can be easily removed with nothing more than a wire wrap/unwrap tool. If you're in the USA, Radio Shack stores sell a wire wrap/unwrap tool for around $7 USD.

You could solder the wire back on if you really wanted to, but you might wish to keep it as wire wrap. You just need the tool to remove and reinstall the wire.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Be careful about melting cheap plastic parts if you solder the wires on. Be quick about it. Proper cleanliness and a proper soldering iron are essential.

corrie

Joined Jul 14, 2011
Thank you gentlemen, one more new thing I have learned. Believe me, since I started this electronic thing I have learned any number of things, some I learned never to do again. Cheers.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Adding to what #12 said about melting the switch housing. A clip on heat sink or a hemostat next to the housing will help prevent damage.