Connection of AC supply...

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You could use three 1-phase transformers to connect one 3-phase generator to another's output in series.

I'm not going to draw a schematic.

You probably won't find it using Google, because there is no reason to connect 3-phase generators in series. It's just an academic exercise.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I don´t see any reason to do that, so why do you need it?
Like allways you are chosing how to do something before you actually know what you want to accomplish.

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
I am asking because is it possible for connecting 3 phase transformer in series?? as till now i have connected single phase only.
this is not academic exercise!!

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
All depends on who you ask........The term Generator, as applied to automotive, usually refers to DC for the chassis electric. Although some small gasoline powered portable generators provide both AC & DC

Alternators, are so called, because they produce 3 phase alternating current from a DC battery source, that must be rectified back to DC

To further complicate the issue, :D the 3-phases produced in alternators, are hitched in parallel prior to rectification to allow higher amperage output.

Theoretically, the 3-phase output from an appropriately wound alternator, is capable of driving a small 3-phase induction motor.
How-e-ver, when energized with adequate power to produce 120v AC, it takes at least 10 horsepower to spin the alternator @ 3600 rpm to produce a 60 Hz output

My two cents........50 Hz is useless.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I guess you did not understand me.
"Generator" is a term that covers many different types of devices that convert mechanical energy to electrical energy.

A "dynamo" is a type of generator; a sub-classification, more specific.
An "alternator" is another type of generator, but more specific.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
All depends on who you ask........The term Generator, as applied to automotive, usually refers to DC for the chassis electric.
Well, in the old days they were called "generators", but the more appropriate title would be dynamo, as they had commutators.

I really didn't want to confuse him with outdated stuff.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Hi,
how to check the armature of any motor like DC or ac drill machine.........
This is done on an instrument called a "growler" [google ] which is simply an AC coil, on a laminated frame similar to a transformer, only shaped square for the coil, with an extended " V block " shaped section to rest a subject armature on.

A metal strip is then played against the top of the armature under test, and if magnetically attracted, indicates a fault in the armature. no attraction = armature is OK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXQ0heuV6VE

An adjustable hi-pot -- High potential -- machine is also desirable, to stress check the insulation between the armature and commutator, and the shaft they are mounted on.
A hi-pot produces a higher voltage, 500-700 over rated nameplate voltage, at preset small amperages.....200 mA max on the one I use, any faults in insulation will show instantly.
Theory being, if the insulation holds at the elevated voltage, it will be OK under normal load.

Last edited:

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
This is done on an instrument called a "growler" [google ] which is simply an AC coil, on a laminated frame similar to a transformer, only shaped square for the coil, with an extended " V block " shaped section to rest a subject armature on.

A metal strip is then played against the top of the armature under test, and if magnetically attracted, indicates a fault in the armature. no attraction = armature is OK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXQ0heuV6VE

An adjustable hi-pot -- High potential -- machine is also desirable, to stress check the insulation between the armature and commutator, and the shaft they are mounted on.
A hi-pot produces a higher voltage, 500-700 over rated nameplate voltage, at preset small amperages.....200 mA max on the one I use, any faults in insulation will show instantly.
Theory being, if the insulation holds at the elevated voltage, it will be OK under normal load.

Hi,
the link you have given it uses some device, how he check i don't understand properly.
I remember when my drill armature was shorted the mechanic check it with a lighting a bulb, the terminal was connected to commutator it was ac machine. i don't know it was commutator or slip ring.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Since growlers can act as the primary of a transformer, a light bulb in series with the growler will glow more brightly if an armature with a shorted winding is placed upon it. Just like shorting the secondary of a power transformer. The primary will draw more current.