Connection of AC supply...

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Many transformers are wound with dual primaries and/or dual secondaries.

For example a transformers' primaries might be used in series for operation on 240VAC, or in parallel for operation on 120VAC. It is important to get the polarity of the windings correct, or there will not be any output from the transformer.

On the output side, you might have a pair of independent windings rated for, let's just say, 12vac @ 1A each. You could wire them in parallel to get 12vac @ 2A, or in series for 24VAC @ 1A.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
In addition, multiphase windings can be interconnected in Delta or Wye configurations for additional voltage options.

Multi tap transformers are common, where voltages can be selected depending on the tap utilized.

Windings in transformers (supply) or in motors (load) can often be wired in series or parallel.

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
Hi,

i know about transformer, i am asking for generators, like // operation of alternators are synchronized first then connected in // for high load ( increasing Current).

can we connect ac generator to series in 1 phase & in 3 phase supply??

Thanks.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I suppose in theory you could. Each successive generator would have to have sufficient ratings for circuit to ground potentials. I'm not sure how you would speed match them to lock the phasing together.

In real world, I'd say No.

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
In few days back in my college, we were performing this partical there were method Dark, bright methods,etc. when the Freq., voltages of the alternator was same the o/p of both alternator were connected in //,
i want to know, that can we connect it in series as in case of DC supply??

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
In the power grid, generators actually wind up being connected in parallel, coupled through power substations (transformers). However, the phases are very carefully matched before being connected, as even a small mismatch would result in large power losses.

I don't see how you could couple 3-phase generators in series without using transformers.

I suppose it could be possible to couple single-phase generators in series, but it would probably be quite dangerous unless strictly low-voltage - as one of the generators would have the other's high voltage as the low-side reference.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
In few days back in my college, we were performing this partical there were method Dark, bright methods,etc. when the Freq., voltages of the alternator was same the o/p of both alternator were connected in //,
i want to know, that can we connect it in series as in case of DC supply??
I suppose in theory you could. Each successive generator would have to have sufficient ratings for circuit to ground potentials. I'm not sure how you would speed match them to lock the phasing together.

In real world, I'd say No.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
WHY would anyone want to connect two AC sources in series, when it would be so much easier and more efficient to build/buy the correct alternator or a transformer to begin with?