Connecting two PCs through ethernet

KansaiRobot

Joined Jan 15, 2010
I would very much appreciate some pointers on this:

I have in the past, connected two computers (among other devices) using the serial port and the USB port. but have never used ethernet

I looked for video tutorials on this but I only find how to connect the two PCs, use the ping command to check if they are connected and that is where the tutorials finish!!! :eek:

what I want to know is how can I do something similar to what I do with serial ports in which I have some application that sends data through the port on one pc, and in the other pc for example the hyperterminal to see what data is being sent.

How can I do something like this with an ethernet cable???

Thanks a lot for the help!

Kansai

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Via Ethernet is possible using the coneection without a switch.
The patch code connection is different that of a standard Ethernet patch code.

After connecting the two PC's you have to the wizard cause it's easier to n00bs.

And u to share files and folder as usual to view them.

KansaiRobot

Joined Jan 15, 2010
thanks for the answer

however I dont want to share files or folders

what I have is an aopplication on one computer sending data and I want to see that data on the other PC.

is this possible? (hypertext was useful in the case of serial ports)

c0de3

Joined May 1, 2009
If you don't have a crossover Ethernet cable you can pick up a crossover 'barrel' type connector. You place the barrel between two regular Ethernet cables and it switches things around making the cable on single crossover cable.

The cables are also pretty easy to make but you do need a special crimping tool to attach the RJ45 connector on the end. If you know someone that works in computers (or a local cable TV guy) they probably have one and can throw a cable together for you.

Or buy one at RadioShack... :rolleyes:

I'm guessing you'll want to send your data via UDP or TCP? So you'll need to setup TCP/IP on both machines.

You did not indicate which operating system or software language you were using for your application. Given something like Windows and PHP, Visual Basic or Java, you could set up both PCs with web browser software and have the first upload data to a hosting system like 1and1.com, godaddy.com, etc. The second PC would check the hosting system on a periodic basis.

tajwok

Joined Apr 30, 2012
I suggest you don't buy from Radioshack as I believe is too expensive. I bought one a couple of weeks ago almost at half price from a seller at eBay. Just have a look online and you will definitely get a better deal.
online pokies
Thanks

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Actually, most modern PCs no longer require a crossover cable. This feature has been available on Apple computers since the Power Mac G5.

It is specified as an optional component of the 1000BASE-T specification, but is in practice implemented widely.

Besides the eventually agreed upon Automatic MDI/MDI-X, this feature may also be referred to by various vendor-specific terms including: Auto uplink and trade, Universal Cable Recognition and Auto Sensing.

(reference: Automatic Crossover on Wikipedia)

KansaiRobot

Joined Jan 15, 2010
Thanks for the advice on the cable.:)

However I want to know what application can I use to see the data coming from the other computer through the cable.

With serial ports I used to use hypertherminal. I ve heard I can set that for use with ethernet too??? or use telnet (which I know nothing about)...

any help will be appreciated

c0de3

Joined May 1, 2009
Even though the wire is between these two hosts, it isn't as easy as a serial connection. At least not that I've come across. There isn't a program you use to just 'see' data coming in a ethernet port like a serial port. Sure there are programs called "sniffers" or whatever, but they do not do the same thing as hyperterm did/does on a serial cable.

Maybe if you give more detail what you want to do we can be more helpful.

The closest thing to old hyperterm would be hyperterm on one computer and a telnet server setup on the second computer.... Again, depends what you're trying to do.

- Craig

Thanks for the advice on the cable.:)

However I want to know what application can I use to see the data coming from the other computer through the cable.

With serial ports I used to use hypertherminal. I ve heard I can set that for use with ethernet too??? or use telnet (which I know nothing about)...

any help will be appreciated

davebee

Joined Oct 22, 2008
I don't know if this will help for your case, but I've done something like this via wifi.

I have two computers that both connect with wireless wifi to the same wireless hub. I transferred data between two computers by finding the local assigned IP address of one computer, then used FTP to send files to the other, using an FTP client on a Windows machine to get files from the FTP server in a Linux machine.

That shows that there is IP connectivity between the computers.

I can't help much with how to build programs on each side that use the IP connectivity to exchange data. Many years ago I did some socket programming that could accomplish this, but I've forgotten all the details.

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
if i understand coractly you just want to see trafic between computers. you can use a protocol analizer like wireshark or micrisft network monitor both of witch are downloadable freeware. but there would be no trafic unless your running a dhcp, dns, file serversetup on one of them. or you can acces the other node with remote desktop, telnet, vnc programs.