Connecting SPIs parallel

savage67

Joined Oct 3, 2006
Hi everyone,

I am aiming to connect several SPI devices in parallel manner. To achieve that, as i know less, some pull-up or pull-down resistor must be use in mosi, miso and ss pins. Could you please explain me what is the purpose of using them and which pins(mosi miso sck ss) actualy need that?

Regards.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Could you please explain me what is the purpose of using them and which pins(mosi miso sck ss)
I'd recommend light pullups on all of the SS/ pins to keep the SPI slaves deselected when the processor is in RESET and getting around to initializing the I/O. Initialize the SS/ pins first. I also like a light pullup on MISO so that when all slaves are deselected, you don't have a floating IO pin. MOSI and SCLK are usually driven by the uC so pullups are optional (although I use them because of the RESET condition noted)

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I2C is using pullup resistors.

SPI does not need them.

If you use SPI in parallel, as explained you can only select one chip at a time.

Many SPI devices don't need external reset. They can accept commands at any stage. So initial I/O levels are not a problem. Then later you only select one device. Some SPI devices however will do show reaction even if they are deselected. For instance LCDs can become unresponsive! This depends on the command that was last used.

If you observe problems when using SPI devices in parallel, as a rule of thumb, trust no specification or datasheet. Apply common sense, and think what is the worst that could happen.