Connecting AC Ammeter to home

fehaan

Joined Jun 10, 2011
Dear Experts,

I am planning to connect the 50A ammeter to my home 220V AC line in order to monitor the peak current my whole house electrical appliances consuming at specific times.

I have drafted a circuit diagram (attached), please suggest further.

thanks,

Attachments

DumboFixer

Joined Feb 10, 2009
It would be much much safer to use one those meters that clamp on the supply cable. No risk of you doing anything wrong and, if you use the right unit, you can download the data from the device to your PC for later anaysis which is what I do.

The thread will be closed as the forum doesn't talk about lethal voltages.

Have a read of the Terms Of Service http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/l_tos.html

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
My meter box still has one of those old-fashioned kWh energy meters with the rotating disk.

It's easy enough to monitor the energy consumption at any given time if you have one of those types, a stop-watch and a torch if it's dark. I'm not sure if the modern electronic kWh meters have a display which gives you the information you need in a simpler way.

fehaan

Joined Jun 10, 2011
It would be much much safer to use one those meters that clamp on the supply cable. No risk of you doing anything wrong and, if you use the right unit, you can download the data from the device to your PC for later anaysis which is what I do.

The thread will be closed as the forum doesn't talk about lethal voltages.

Have a read of the Terms Of Service http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/l_tos.html

Thanks for your suggestion and highlighting safety measures for a healthy experimenting.

Appreciated!

thanks again.

fehaan

Joined Jun 10, 2011
Yes dear! i do have that conventional meter at home. I do get readings once or twice a week as it requires me to go downstairs and record the reading every time. I searched for a device that could automatically sense, record data of voltages, amperes, and power usage with outages, while connected to one of my home pc via wifi but the unfortunate thing is the available devices are not here in my city area. it would require me to buy from internet with no Warranty of it.

If you could suggest me one good idea i would really appreciate that.

Thanks,

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Reminds me of a little project a friend suggested many years ago. An optical transmit/receive device is "mounted" to look at the rotating disk side-on through the kWh meter glass pane. The shiny disk edge has a dark marker which could possibly be detected as it intercepts the optical beam with each revolution. The opto device interfaces to a battery powered micro-controller. The micro counts & times the disk revolutions and then saves data for later evaluation. I imagine one could interface the uC to a small ISM band radio transmitter allowing one to send the data off to be remotely logged & observed at a nice warm spot in the house. Turn up the electric heater thermostat and watch the change!

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Opening the supply feeder to attach an ammeter is simply too dangerous for a casual interest in electrical usage. A clamp-on meter of the other techniques above are acceptable.

Otherwise, the thread runs into this part of the ToS -
Forum members must not knowingly provide any information that may adversely affect another member; this includes, but is not restricted to, information that may potentially result in injury, death, damage or destruction of property and possessions. The administration takes this matter seriously and has the right to remove any contentious content and deal with the offending member as it deems is necessary.

fehaan

Joined Jun 10, 2011
Opening the supply feeder to attach an ammeter is simply too dangerous for a casual interest in electrical usage. A clamp-on meter of the other techniques above are acceptable.

Otherwise, the thread runs into this part of the ToS -
Thanks for all these things to be considered all the time...

Looking forward to such caring gesture from all those who have contributed to this thread.

Have a nice weekend!